• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad coolant leak need help asap please guys

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Ok so I got coolant leaking from a weird place and I really need help identifying the part and what needs to be done to fix it.

Here it is behind and under the intake manifold it has vacuum lines running out the top of it and it is leaking from under it. Seems it is sitting on the block from the drivers side.

Here you can see it from the drivers side wheel well. It leaks at the mating surface of whatever this is.

and here I tried taking a pic from the top.

It dumps all the coolant I add immedietly. Really need help with this one I'm stumped. And I need to get it running asap

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Lower intake would be my guess, that's about the only thing containing coolant in that area outside of the block and freeze plugs.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also after engine is fully warmed up and has pressure in the cooling system, shut off engine and pop the hood.

Run you hand around any hoses, don't need to touch them, pin holes will spray coolant under pressure on to other parts of the engine, it is an invisible stream, but you can feel it when hand passes by it.

Also you can get UV(ultra violet) dye and a UV light, the dye is added to radiator and you run the vehicle for a day or so then use the UV light to spot the trail and source of the leak.
UV dye doesn't stain and does even show up without the UV light on it.

Same dye can be used for oil, ATF, and refrigerant leaks

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
It had uv dye in it I have more but literally as I pound water in it empties out at the same speed so it's undrivable.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
What is that thing in the pic though since it seems to originate from there

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I see a core plug in one picture is there one next to it, to the left, behind what ever that other part is?

Pouring out doesn't read like a gasket leak, more like a core plug rusted out

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Hmm how hard would that be to change? I'm thinking along the same lines a freeze plug hell where can I source one locally can I fix it with that engine installed?

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Well I had a rad leak got a new rad at the same time did an efan swap. The water pump started leaking so I put in a new one it got up to temp was stable with ac going everything looked good no leaks had the dye in there just in case. Parked it and finally test drove it the next day. It was fine for a bit then it started getting warm I saw a puddle and got it home before it overheated I just went down the block. Let it cool down check with uv no obvious leak checked coolant level added and saw that it went straight out near that back of the engine traced it back to this location.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know my way around a 4cyl at all but you might make sure you didn't disturb a bypass hose or something when you changed the water pump. Either it didn't get tightened correctly and it blew off or you flexed an old hose and it didn't like it.

I would for sure check everything you did and everything involved with what you did since it started right after you worked on it.

You might have to start taking stuff off so you can exactly see what the heck is going on.

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Yes I check my work and sadly that would have been preferable lol but no it's something else totally separate from the area i was in

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
On the drivers side of the block there are two 'edges', one visible which would be the oil pan-block gasket mating joint.
There are also freeze plugs.
There is also coolant piped through the bottom of the intake manifold on some versions.
There is also an oil separator (can) that is plugged into the block and connected to the PCV system.
There is also the head-block mating surface, up high under the intake, not very visible.

If the cooling system was neglected, or you are unlucky, you may have a failed freeze plug hidden behind the compressor mount or the oil separator.
Check the intake for a small hose that supplies coolant. Older models had a hose that ran from the exhaust side around the back of the head, and into the bottom of the intake manifold. (supplied heat in winter for better/quicker fuel vaporization)

In one picture, there was a tube that went from the general area of the water pump, more or less alongside the serpentine belt operating the A/C compressor, that then took a turn and headed downward behind the compressor. That seems to be the area you point to as the leaky area. What does the other end connect to? Actually, what do BOTH ends connect to?
tom

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My 2.3 (in an '88...) has a coolant bypass tube that runs from the passenger side of the engine around the back of the valve cover and I think into the lower intake. That would be close to the area you're looking at, although I don't remember my old 96 having that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals