• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Guinea Pig

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
And the inside of the door. Still gathering stuff for this conversion. Still don't have door lock solenoids and related stuff. Haven't been near Princess Auto lately. Cheapest there, like half price...

No plugs for the 08 switches either.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Since I haven't uploaded many pix since my old camera crapped out, I'll throw some updates up.
Old pickup ass:

Updated pickup ass (03 tails, 07 bumper and tailgate):

No the paint doesn't match. Yet. I'm thinking of masking the silver part off and spraybombing the bottom in charcoal like the tailgate and left fender.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
07 FX4 leather bucket seats and 92 Explorer console. Still need a seatbelt buckle for the right seat and a massive cleaning. Missed a brand new carpet on Craigslist last week for $50. Damn.

Pretty good match on colors, huh?
Other direction:

I don't have a before pic. It was a POS not worthy of a pic. Mind the tool storage on the floor. I work outdoors - this is lockable. :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Other odds n ends: 07 FX4 4.10 torsen axle (all the factory goodies except discs):

08 (or 9, I forget) door panels, switch packages:

The FX4 axle goes in this thing fairly soon. The front (early Bronco) Dana44 has a matching ratio but not set up properly. I think I'll throw the Auburn LS in just for kicks.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Damn you're taking forever to get it done! Wth? I wanna see some more progress! Finish those doors, finish the wiring and get her running lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
The truck should be the #1 priority not work or women!

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Rowdy, I totally agree with ya. Waay too long.

I've been working 6 days a week for months and have had family stuff to do on Sundays. The gf is working today so its on - but I want a couple more trinkets from the 07,8 &9 Rangers at the picknpull today before they crush them. Its a time management thing.
Hey, life gets in the way sometimes. :annoyed:

But I miss having a pickup. Thats the motivational factor. I've missed out on too many deals cuz I couldn't pick them up. A sedan is worthless for picking up large parts.

Edit: Damn. Another financial setback. We have to redo our perimiter drains. We flooded last year and finally scraped enough together to redo the driveway.
Guys were here today and tore out the old driveway and started to rework the drain in front of the garage but its plugged solid away from the driveway. I pretty much have my long weekend planned for me now as well as my fun money for a while. As dad used to say: '...And you wonder why I drink.' :bawling:

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got a bit of time in mostly to move it. But to move it I had to fix the steering which I couldn't get together months ago despite literally days spent at it. Today I needed it in the back yard to get the Explorer out to the front to get it picked up by a scrapper.
Lesson learned: whenever possible leave the intermediate shaft attached to the column when installing said column. Was a proper b!tch to get right. To be fair, the shaft that came with the Ranger wasn't going to last long. The rag joint on one end was bad.
Anyhoo, tomorrow is payday and there are a ton of goodies available for a change. Sometime before the weekend another part of this puzzle will be here.
Damn, I wish I had a pickup. lol :thefinger:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Hey progress is progress no matter the reason for it!

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I've kind of decided on Toyota leaf springs front and rear. Windsor power. If I could pick it up tonight it would be an 87 351HO I found (this is why I lamented not having a pickup right now.) A simple AOD and I'm leaning towards propane fuel cause its low profile on the engine and a really cheap fuel source.
Its really a 'guinea pig' to me. I'm willing to experiment on it. I'm tired of computer controlled this and that and the rats nest of wiring I can't wrap my head around. I want (no, need) it running and 4wd by winter.
Beyond that, its just something I can tinker with until my brain explodes then return when I'm not mad at it.
I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S principle. :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
A little disgusted to find NAPA wants $201 a side for F-150 hubs and rotors. The hubs will likely come from the junkyard since I can't justify $120 each for new ones. NAPA usually beats their local competition.
Need to find the list of parts to put this stuff together now. I need to complete the front axle and get it under here.
I was going to use the 4.88 ring and pinion but I'm not sure its right for this. I'm thinking 33's for it and 4.56 might be better. Its a dd, remember?

:icon_welder:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Ya junkyard hubs will be fine. Just wire wheel them and paint them. The races are what get scored by bad bearings and those are replaceable.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I know, Rowdy. I would have gone new if the price wasn't fubar. I've been gathering new parts only for the Bronco D44 until this.
Its not a big deal, really.
I'm getting impatient to get this rolling as its been 6 months without a pickup. I'm pretty sure the gf would slaughter me if I loaded a smallblock into the trunk of her car so theres some incentive... :buttkick:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Minor hint. I have an F150 or two to go look at this weekend as potential parts rigs. The 92 has the 351 which usually has the E4OD (which, on paper is a better trans except it requires a computer to work...) and the 88 is a 302 which could be either a C6 or an AOD (the OD is preferred, requiring only a TV cable hookup to operate.) Both should have 1356 T cases with hubs and rotors I can use. Really, I want this rig to be as simple as possible.
Trying to keep some progress going on this without going broke. (Okay, more broke. :annoyed: )

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Todays find at Pick n Pull. 98 Explorer 5.0:

I know, they're restrictive but will get me through the swap for a while.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals