• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coil spring pigtail orientation?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
i installed a set a 3-4 drop kit on my 83 ranger, belltech beams and a flip kit, well that was not low enough so i added a 1 inch lowering block and cut 3/4 of the top coil out of the front springs not a full coil but close.

well what way should these coil spring be seated, i know of foxbody mustang u orient the rear coil spring with the pigtail pointed toward the rear of the car iirc, so i was wondering if there is a certain way these spring need to be pointed?

i have noticed that there seem to be a spot for the spring to seat into on the top,but it seems that the driverside vs, pass. side upper spring pockets where not the same, i.e. it left the spring end in different spots.

its kind of hard to explain but anyone that has done this i think will understand.

also do you thighten that coil spring nut when the spring is compressed?
does anyone know the part number for the 4 degree eccentrics off hand?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For the eccentrics... Were you using the 83-88 beams or 89-97 beams? I may have the part number for the earlier ones somewhere, but I'll have to find it. I can tell you the early ones were not 4 degrees, those were for the later style beams only.

Coil end should be positioned in the seat, regardless of if they are stock or cut.

The coil spring nut can be tightened when the spring is either compressed or extended. Even when tight the spring can move around on the lower mount and rest where it needs to.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
im using 89-97 beams.
i assume you are talking about the upper spring seats?

as far as the upper spring seats/pockets go i just want to make sure this sounds correct, the easyest was for me to explain it is in a clock form, so if the front of the truck was 12 and the back of the truck was 6 oclock, i would say the the pass. side spring seat/pocket is at 3 and the driverside is at 10/11ish, is this correct? i just find it kinda odd that both sides would not be the same and i just want to confirm that this is correct.

currently i do not have the springs bolted down, im not driving the truck rightnow anyway, but is it common for the spring to pop out when u jack the truck up, then when i lower it to the ground i have to guide the spring back in to seat correctly?

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
im using 89-97 beams.
i assume you are talking about the upper spring seats?
The eccentrics for those are available in 4 degrees and available at NAPA. Can't give the part number but if you spend a little time on their site you can probably find it.

Yes, I was talking about the upper spring seats.

Does it look like anyone has replaced or modified the coil buckets in the past? I'm not looking at a Ranger right now, but if that's where they are then that is correct. Those positions are mirrored on either side of the truck, that's just the way I would expect for the factory to design it.

currently i do not have the springs bolted down, im not driving the truck rightnow anyway, but is it common for the spring to pop out when u jack the truck up, then when i lower it to the ground i have to guide the spring back in to seat correctly?
With the cut coils your truck has more suspension travel than the springs are tall, so it is entirely possible for them to pop out of place on jacks. Is it popping out at the top of the springs or the bottom?

If it is at the top then either it isn't seated correctly, or the retainer has been bent. Looking at the hole in the center of the coil bucket there are usually tabs sticking down inside the coil, and one of these is usually bent further around to retain the spring once it in place. It's possible that you are not getting your spring into this retainer, that the retainer is bent, or that the spring diameter is too small (unlikely). I'd start by pushing the spring up into the coil bucket and rotate to see if it will catch that tab.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
i will try to find the part number for the 4 degree ones, i know its floating around on this website somewhere.

the upper spring pockets do not look to be modded at all.

it pops out at the top.

i will have to check to see if one of those tabs is not bent enough to hold it.

thanks for all the help.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
i think this is the correct part number on the 4 degree eccentrics
NAPA PART NUMBER = NCP 2643950

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That looks like the right part. Thanks for posting the number, I'll probably be needing a set myself.

Austin Buxton

Reaction score
Hey I have a 94 v6 4.0 litre ranger. That died on me the other day while I was driving. I was reading up that my fuel pressure should be about 30-35psi. Is that right? And I couldn't find what my spark plug cylinders are supposed to be. Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals