• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch Issue_Please Help

edward2016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
do what you do and do it well
Here lately I've been having trouble going into any gear at a stop. It takes quite an effort and a few tries but finally pops in with no grinding. I've seen its either the slave cylinder or just the clutch. I'm pretty sure the clutch has 152,000 miles on it. I would like to know if any body else has had this problem and If I could get a few tips

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
At that age and miles, my tip would be replace everything. Clutch, slave, master, etc.

And bleed everything, upside down, before you put any of it together.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Is your clutch fluid reservoir empty? If so, then almost guaranteed it's your slave has started leaking.

Agreed, might as well replace everything at the same time while it's apart.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i always replace everything while im in there. most the parts are only a few bucks any ways. try double clutching maybe itll go in easier. if your not going to do the clutch yourself, mine cost 1000$ to do at a shop.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here lately I've been having trouble going into any gear at a stop. It takes quite an effort and a few tries but finally pops in with no grinding. I've seen its either the slave cylinder or just the clutch. I'm pretty sure the clutch has 152,000 miles on it. I would like to know if any body else has had this problem and If I could get a few tips
Well before you replace the clutch, you can try bleeding the clutch master and clutch slave cylinders. Search for it on YouTube as there a couple nice videos on it.

The hardest part about bleeding the Master is getting it out of the truck. There is a trick to releasing it from the peddle mount bracket, a trick to popping the clutch rod from the peddle, and a trick or 3 to snaking it all out and back in again. Lots of tricks to learn. But the only way to bleed it is to remove it. Use a clamp or something to hold the reservoir up at 4-5' so you can bleed it and flush it.

The slave cylinder is pretty easy but you'll need somebody to step on the peddle for you.

The point in all this is to see if your problems are air in the clutch line or if your clutch is going out.

By the way, don't mash it into gear - be patient. Otherwise you'll have more stuff to fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals