• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger 4x4 build for Street and Trails

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Went to the junk yard yesterday and scored a 4.0l rad and swapped that in today. Noticed that the truck runs inch much cooler. Also found a set of traction bars At the truck show that were for a jeep I had to cut them and sleeve then to lengthen them but they just need a coat of paint yet and then I can get them bolted on the truck. Will get some pics up as soon as I get a chance.

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
So had a friend lengthen and weld the rear traction bars and sanded them down and painted them ford blue. I also got the drive the truck a little more with the new rad in it. I am impressed the temp gauge stays right in the middle of the normal gauge even in dead stopped or slow moving traffic.

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
So I got the lengthened traction bars installed today. And drove it around in the rain. My first impression is I love these things they make the whole rear of the truck feel better and on top of it all even help in throttle response. They also get ride of that annoying clunk from first to reverse of vise versa.

Mounted the rear mount of the top of the leaf spring bolts and then drilled and through bolted the read spring perches then I set the bars in the middle position.

Last edited:

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
All done working on the truck till after the wedding at this point. But my project list is getting bigger and bigger for this fall. Going to pull the add a leafs from the deaver spring packs in the rear they are killing my flex. Ordering superunner steering kit and a set of master craft seats and then saving up a bit of money and going to start to work on the dana 35 front axle. Going to build a diff guard Ozzie locker bracing and full rebuild as well as 4.56 gears front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Back to working on the ranger. Ordered some led headlights tonight for it as well as some led tag light bulbs. Also trying to figure out what I want to do with the front axel. I have a dana 35 to swap in. But not sure on what type of locker to put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals