• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Long bed to short bed swap

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Been looking for a clean 7ft bed for quite a while and I can't seem to find one for under 7-800$.
I was thinking about swapping over to a 6ft bed because they are a dime a dozen at the u-pull. They also look better IMO.
Obvious issues, axle would need to be moved forward six inches, bed bolt holes not lining up, filler neck(maybe), drive shaft would need to be shortened, arch in the frame would be in the wrong location.
Anything that I'm missing? Has anyone on here successfully done this before?
I would obviously cut the frame between the axle and bumper, not before the axle.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Could you just bolt it on towards the back and maybe build a toolbox to go between cab and bed? Seems a lot easier, or maybe put diamond plate for a flat stowage spot to put the spare or a couple jerry cans? I think that'd look kinda cool and pretty clean.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
7-800 is well worth it in not having to deal with trimming down the frame and buying the 6 foot bed, new filler neck, smaller gas tank, 6 foot driveshaft, new fuel lines, brake line to rear axle, and emergency brake cable. Youll also have a good bit of slack in the wire bundle going to the taillight harness. You may need to shorten that wiring as well.

A little much to fit a 6 foot bed just because you cant find a 7 foot bed cheap enough, but it is your truck and have at it if you like. Id just buy a 6 footer with a regular cab and take everything from behind the cab back.

98Ranger04Mach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have long bed i just bought, however I didnt noticed that until after. I have a 6ft bed on my 98 Ranger, its a busted up 6ft bed and bought the 7ft to replace it. however i hear yes and no to so a short to long bed swap on a regular cab. because its a reguylar cab, it can be done and bolt on. but other tell me no. so I am looking for help.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have long bed i just bought, however I didnt noticed that until after. I have a 6ft bed on my 98 Ranger, its a busted up 6ft bed and bought the 7ft to replace it. however i hear yes and no to so a short to long bed swap on a regular cab. because its a reguylar cab, it can be done and bolt on. but other tell me no. so I am looking for help.
No the 7' bed won't bolt in place of the 6' bed. The wheelbase is 6" longer on the long bed and the frame is 12" longer overall.

The only reason I could see doing a short to long bed conversion is if you wanted a supercab long bed, something Ford never made. Any other combo of cab/ beds was available from the factory. (Unless you get your hands on a true 4 door crew cab Ranger from Mexico... I would love to build a crew cab long bed diesel Ranger.)

98Ranger04Mach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah. there would be a lot of welding and adjusting if I added the 7ft to the 6ft ranger reg cab. would be interesting. but if not the case I guess I have a 7ft bed to sell! great condition too and im redoing the under coating and removing the minor rust it has under neath.

Lee in Texas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
No the 7' bed won't bolt in place of the 6' bed. The wheelbase is 6" longer on the long bed and the frame is 12" longer overall.

The only reason I could see doing a short to long bed conversion is if you wanted a supercab long bed, something Ford never made...
I like the way you think.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals