• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

four wheel drive blown?

steelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I let the kids play in my truck then drove around town for 1/2 hour and went to work. I put the truck in park and opened a gate. Got back in and drove 15 yards when I heard a huge bang! I looked over and the kids had the four wheel drive in Low. The truck drives fine in 2 wheel drive but when I put it in four wheel drive it makes some noise and doesn't turn like it use to in four wheel drive. it seems like its bound up. when I make just the slightest turn on asphalt the truck skips or jumps. what is wrong?

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
Year? Could have blown a u joint/cv joint

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
DON'T drive on high traction surfaces in four wheel drive.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
DON'T drive on high traction surfaces in four wheel drive.
This.

The part-time 4WD system the Ranger uses is not made to be used on pavement (that binding you feel while turning is normal, and if continued, could eventually cause something to self-destruct for real, often in the front axle or the transfer-case itself).

As for the *bang* noise, was it only that one time it did it? Or can you replicate it while in 4x4? (on dirt, gravel or other lesser-traction surface)? If just the one time, it's possible maybe the shift mechanism wasn't all the way engaged, and it slipped a tooth when the strain of it being on pavement was put on it.

Just a hypothesis.

Welcome to TRS, by the way. :beer:

steelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
The large Bang only hapend that once. I figure that it finaly ingaged after I stoped at the gate. but right after the bang it started making a grinding noise and still does when put in 4 wheel drive. I will go drive it in the dirt in 4 wheel drive and see if it still feels bound up.

steelranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
So I Drove my truck in 4 wheel drive in the dirt and it doesnt feel bound up when I turn or make the noise. It does make noise when I am on asphalt and turn I wont drive it in 4 wheel drive on asphalt but is this noise that is made on asphalt when turning something to be conserned about?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Without hearing the noise I couldn't say for sure (some noises in 4x4 are normal, such as an increased loudness & vibration of the drivetrain gears).

I'd suggest just keeping an eye (ear) on it for now. If it comes back or worsens while on dirt, then it would be worth a deeper look.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine has banged and ground trying to get it out of 4low while it is in gear. Done it since I have gotten it 14 years ago. Gotta have it in neutral (in a manual clutch in would have the same effect) leaving 4low or it will throw a fit. Even park doesn't work because it doesn't always let things move slightly to realign on the high side (or that is what it feels like)

And on the lever you can feel a detent in the tcase for 4hi. If I pull it back to where the gate actually stops the lever it makes hateful sounds too.

Right or wrong that is how mine is :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals