• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger 4x4 build for Street and Trails

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
So let me start by saying I currently cannot get the old pics of my truck off the old hard drive on my computer.
So I have had this truck since I was 17 and in high school and other than the American racing outlaw IIs and 30 inch tires the truck was bone stock. About 2 years ago I ripped the whole truck apart and started a full resto and was also going to replace all of the suspension with a James Duff 5.5 stage 3 kit.
I will post the pics that I have and then try to keep this page up to date on what I’m doing with it.
The first few pics are the new Dever rear springs and wider 7.5in mustang rear with disk brakes already temporally bolted in. The front suspension is already torn out and was getting ready to start grinding the rivets off.

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Next I tore apart my Old D28 and stripped the beams down and POR 15ed the whole thing. Also I pressed in the JD Pivot bushings and cleaned and Painted the 3rd member. My plan is to get the truck on the road and shake it down (also buy a house) and then in the fall/spring when I have some time and extra cash get another ranger with a 4.0l and D35 and swap some stuff out.

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
After that was done I started to install the new Duff Lift Brackets and try to get this thing back on 4 wheels. It has been apart at this point for about a year and a half so that’s why some of the pics are me just holding the tires up. I kept the outlaw IIs that I have and mounted some 35/12.5R15s on them that I gut for $200 from a Guy I worked With.

ranger2.9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
A man after my own heart. I took mine down to the frame and sandblasted, ect. Its looking good so far. I will definarely be watching this build.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks good. Keep it up

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
So this will pretty much bring me up to where I was at last weekend. I got the new coil towers in and the New looking D28 bolted in. Then I pushed it outside to clean it up some and wash off all of the grinding dust that has built up over the past year. Also I wanted to play around and day dream a Bit lol. Too bad I didn’t have the gas tank in the truck so it was powered by my old simplicity lawn tractor. I’m also glad that I didn’t put the 2in body lift, on because I would have had to put the smaller tires on just to get the truck out of the garage. At least now I can get the truck in a standard garage door which helps since I am house shopping currently.View attachment 9512View attachment 9513View attachment 9514View attachment 9515View attachment 9516View attachment 9517View attachment 9518View attachment 9519View attachment 9521View attachment 9522

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
So I had a snow day Wednesday even though it never snowed. I used this time to bend the rear brake lines make some brackets to hold the rear brake lines and I also installed the pass side shocks and mounts. View attachment 9532View attachment 9533View attachment 9534View attachment 9535View attachment 9536View attachment 9537

I really like this setup and it seems like the beams are tucked in far enough that the tire shouldn't hit from lock to lock.
I ordered my bushwacker fender flairs and James duff extended Ebrake cables and they are supposed to be here tonight. I'm going to set the pinion angle on the rear and finish the brakes this weekend I will try to get some pics up!!

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Well I was out in the garage late last night and all day today. Here is some of the progress that I got done.

View attachment 9548
I installed both front shock mounts

View attachment 9549View attachment 9550

Then I installed the pass side caliper and brake line got the wheel barings greased and the tie rods installed and center link in.

View attachment 9551View attachment 9552View attachment 9553View attachment 9554

I also installed the gas tank and the exhaust. I took the driveshaft out because tomorrow I'm going to pull the rear to weld the spring perches and shock mounts on also going to weld the axel tubes to the center. View attachment 9555View attachment 9556View attachment 9557

The list for tomorrow is to
Install the drivers side caliper and brake line

Remove the rear and weld the center and spring perches.

And play with these because they just came in the mail.

View attachment 9558

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Looking real good!!

jhammel85

Looks great! Exactly what I plan to start soon. Looks like you are working out of an oversized 1 car garage like I am too?

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Looks great! Exactly what I plan to start soon. Looks like you are working out of an oversized 1 car garage like I am too?
Haha yes it a 2 car but my dad has the other half. I know that I am looking for a house now and a bigger garage is deff on my must have list. I will say I don't feel cramped on space just that I have nowhere to go with stuff when I take it off. And make sure that you take pics and label everything as you go it will only help when you try to go back together.

MikeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Because of daylight savings time, a few to many beers and the GF saying I need to spend more time with her I only got about 3 hours in on the truck.

I got the drivers side caliper and brake line on.

Removed the rear axel and welded the tubes to the housing as well as the perches on and shock mounts.

Pulled the gears and center section out so I can swap in my posi and 3.83 center out of my old rear.

View attachment 9574View attachment 9575View attachment 9576View attachment 9577View attachment 9578View attachment 9579

Going to try to get back out in the garage Tuesday to get some paint on the rear. Will get some picks up latter

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is that an 8.8? What's it out of? I'm looking forward to seeing this truck with all its sheet metal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals