• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Goes forward in neutral and reverse..

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
1995 ford ranger
4r55e
rebuilt trans about a year ago.

So i've looked, and cant find an exact answer. I was out at the mudjams down here this weekend, got stuck, then come to find out, i don't have reverse! So I turned the truck off, turned it back on, nothing, put it in neutral, and try and have someone pull me, and my tires are spinning forward while they're pulling me backwards. I have checked out the linkage, it looks off. I don't really know where the exact position is. Can anyone help? Much appreciated!

Edit: Truck now has neutral with key on, truck off, but when I turn it over it kicks forward and just wants to go forward. When I put it back in park, and let go of the break, it jumps forward to a halt.

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'll place my next paycheck on you fried the forward clutch pack and it's all welded together. Only fix for that is a rebuild.

Matt

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Do alot of mudding or rocking back and forth to get unstuck? I've torn apart a couple of trannys that were rocked. Like he said above. Everything gets welded together and then you only have one direction.

CheapThrills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I went ahead and dropped it off at one the best transmission shops in town, so he's gunna take a look into it tomorrow. Thanks much, i'll let you know when I hear back. And i'm sure it's welded together, multiple times of reverse to drive to try and get unstuck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine did that, it is what drew me to TRS to begin with actually.

The fluid was black, full of metalic filings (really kind of pretty) and smelled like burnt popcorn. :shok:

Never tore it apart, poked in a JY trans and away we went again. :3gears:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Rocking drive to reverse and back when you are stuck is about the worst thing you can do to an automatic. It's so easy to rip between gears before things actually stop spinning. The worst one I've ever seen was I rebuilt 4L60e for a kid's avalanche...had an aftermarket warranty so he got a stock rebuild. He then lifted it quite a bit, put a tuner on it and massive tires. Took it out and got it stuck. Ripped it between drive and reverse at full throttle to get out. He actually got the shell to fan out over the drum and it nearly cut the transmission it two. The only thing holding it together was a little bit at the sides of the valve body. Just a reminder to all when you get stuck.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals