• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jim Oaks getting some national attention.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
The last line really says it all!

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
That's great!

You know it's funny when they compare a "Top-of-the-line" Ranger with a Base model F150. How about compare the top-of-the-line Ranger to a top-of-the-line F150 and see what the price difference is!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
That's great!

You know it's funny when they compare a "Top-of-the-line" Ranger with a Base model F150. How about compare the top-of-the-line Ranger to a top-of-the-line F150 and see what the price difference is!

yeah... top of the line f150 is like 60k :shok::icon_surprised:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Interesting. Jim's reference was kind of cool, and the article was unbiased.

Sucks about the Ranger. I wish we could import the diesel 4 door.

Pete

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Naw, I never read that Money Financial information. The only thing I care about are how my three 401K's are doing....lol. Cool about Jim being mentioned on that site!!! The Ranger is gone...but there will always be a Ranger on the roads, we see them everyday. I see more older ones than I do newer ones. The price on newer Rangers have been way overpriced as a few of my friends have stated the last few years. They went out and bought a full size truck instead or bought a new 4 door 4x4 Tacoma for right at the price of a 4x4 Ranger Supercab.

:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah... top of the line f150 is like 60k :shok::icon_surprised:
A top of the line F-150 is a little different than a top of the line Ranger too...

A bottom of the barrel F-150 still has 100hp on the biggest, baddest Ranger. It will beat the tar out of a 4.0 Ranger for milage too. Ecoboost is only a $500 upgrade as well. For the same money the '150 is a far better deal IMO. More power, more cab room, more bedspace, all around more truck.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
So.........how did the voice of reason (J. Oaks) get into the article???

He gave the perfect reasons why Ford should scrap their shut-down idea, instead of making scrap out of the Ranger plant!!

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
A top of the line F-150 is a little different than a top of the line Ranger too...

A bottom of the barrel F-150 still has 100hp on the biggest, baddest Ranger. It will beat the tar out of a 4.0 Ranger for milage too. Ecoboost is only a $500 upgrade as well. For the same money the '150 is a far better deal IMO. More power, more cab room, more bedspace, all around more truck.
If Ford would put the ecoboost technology into a Ranger it would compete a little better. Not everyone buys trucks or cars for horsepower alone. If the Ranger would have been updated more, I think they may have sold more.

The 4cyl Ranger in 2011 was best in class for gas mileage. Put an ecoboost in it I'm sure it would have kept that number one spot...
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-most-fuel-efficient-trucks-for-2011.html

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
If Ford would put the ecoboost technology into a Ranger it would compete a little better. Not everyone buys trucks or cars for horsepower alone. If the Ranger would have been updated more, I think they may have sold more.

The 4cyl Ranger in 2011 was best in class for gas mileage. Put an ecoboost in it I'm sure it would have kept that number one spot...
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-most-fuel-efficient-trucks-for-2011.html
You're talking about highly educated automotive decision-makers in action....

They're not gonna consult with people like you who could provide them info that would make them millons of dollars & keep the Ranger on top...

and speaking of hp....it's a matter of power (not wheel-spinning/quarter mile power...I'm building my Ranger so that it can tow/carry whatever I need to move without hesitating...and if I need to smoke the tires----:yahoo:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
the first comment i read on that article was a guy saying that his 01 v6 5 speed only got 15 mpg and he had yet to see one get over 20 , i know from experience that my grandfathers 2010 (2wd 4cyl 5spd 2dr Ex-Cab with all power options that he paid 15k for new) gets ~25 , my 03 FX4 Level II got 20 on average , my 00 3.0 4x4 got 23 highway going out to ohio , and my 97 4x4 with 31's got 18 , people that are uninformed and think that their experience speaks for all rangers piss me off to no end

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
It's funny. They never really print what you think or want them to.

The AP contacted me last week to get a comment for their article. When I spoke to the lady on the phone about the Ranger and answered her questions I told her:

- It's a reliable truck and I have members on my site with Rangers over 200,000 miles and still going

- The Ranger still sells very well considering that the only thing that's really changed was the front suspension, and front sheetmetal. I told her that I was in a Ford dealer and the interior was pretty much just like the one in my 1996.

- I told her the Ranger is handy and big enough for those things you van't get in a car, but small enough to get decent gas mileage.

- Told her Ford has made a newer version of the Ranger in other countries, but we've been stuck with the same old model for a long time.

- Told her I wouldn't be surprised if Ford released a newer version of the Ranger later.

- Told her about how many Ranger fans there are out there and about how we pulled off the Banner Across America.

- When asked what truck I would buy if Ford stopped making the Ranger, I told her I knew people with salvage yards and that I would just keep buying old Rangers. And ya, I'll probably have them for eternity, unless God makes me park it at the gate.

Anytime you guys see a national media post like that, you should flood it with possitive comments about the Ranger and how Ford should introduce a new version of it. Let Ford know there is still interest.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's funny. They never really print what you think or want them to.

The AP contacted me last week to get a comment for their article. When I spoke to the lady on the phone about the Ranger and answered her questions I told her:

- It's a reliable truck and I have members on my site with Rangers over 200,000 miles and still going

- The Ranger still sells very well considering that the only thing that's really changed was the front suspension, and front sheetmetal. I told her that I was in a Ford dealer and the interior was pretty much just like the one in my 1996.

- I told her the Ranger is handy and big enough for those things you van't get in a car, but small enough to get decent gas mileage.

- Told her Ford has made a newer version of the Ranger in other countries, but we've been stuck with the same old model for a long time.

- Told her I wouldn't be surprised if Ford released a newer version of the Ranger later.

- Told her about how many Ranger fans there are out there and about how we pulled off the Banner Across America.

- When asked what truck I would buy if Ford stopped making the Ranger, I told her I knew people with salvage yards and that I would just keep buying old Rangers. And ya, I'll probably have them for eternity, unless God makes me park it at the gate.

Anytime you guys see a national media post like that, you should flood it with possitive comments about the Ranger and how Ford should introduce a new version of it. Let Ford know there is still interest.
You have to love how reporters work.

Good thing it's not an election year...........

.......oh wait.......

Still good to be the one picked out of the crowd.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
That happens to my friends with sports and everything, reporters twist their words into something that sounds ridiculous. Anyway that is still pretty cool that they referenced you Jim.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Ya. I hadn't mentioned it because I didn't know if they would actually use anything I said or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals