• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger body to Mounty frame swap?

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
So... I'm going to start with Mountaineer and Explorer frames of like years being the same as a statement.

I'm sure someone here has taken a body off of an Explorer/Mountaineer. I have a 2000 Merc and am now considering moving my Ranger cab / bed to this frame. I've figured out that the wheelbase is the same (111.6), but don't know the track comparatively. I also don't know how the frames actually compare. Has anyone done this or have pics of the frame(s).

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Alaskan - Thanks. So I take it the top frame in the photo is the Ranger and the bottom would be the Explorer. So what you're saying is that the cab will mount right on the Exp frame with the shared mounts but I'd have to create body mounts for the bed at the right height? I wouldn't think that the spring-under-frame would be a big deal. I want the ride height low so as not to advertise the AWD or change the suspension characteristics much. I don't haul with the Ranger, but I do tow and I already have rigs I can 4 wheel with. Am I reading that right?

Oh and thanks for that link. It's EXACTLY what I was looking for.. this is gonna be fun as my little Ranger's a single cab stepside, so it fits the wheelbase.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
but I'd have to create body mounts for the bed at the right height? I wouldn't think that the spring-under-frame would be a big deal.
Where it becomes kind of a big deal is that the springs are mounted the same distance apart between the ex and the Ranger... so for one to be under the frame (Explorer) and one to have the springs mounted beside the frame (Ranger) it means that the frame is that much wider.

If I read it right the rear cab mounts (one pair under the front seats and one pair under the cab corners on an extended cab) won't line up with the Explorer body mounts.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
there are 6 body mounts on the cab, the front 4 will line up that is it, and that if you are running a 98+ ranger radiator support. if your ranger is older than 97, only the 2 middle mounts on the cab will line up. (behind the front tire)

so on a 98+ cab, you will have to fab up the 2 rear mounts and all the bed mounts.

will need the photobucket plugin to view photos but here is another
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3497

the 91 to 94 explorer frame body mounts are the same as the 95-01 minus the front radiator support mounts.

Last edited:

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
The second link was entertaining enough, but the first link had a lot of good information. I'm going to possibly have to pull the radiator core support out of the Mounty, fab rear cab supports and bed supports. The only real challenge may be the fuel filler tube. That may even be a non-problem if I use the fuel tank from the Ranger. Both the Ranger and the Mounty are fully functional at this point, so the nice thing about it is that before I begin I know that everything works. I may have to build upper mounts for rear shocks, but that will be something to keep in mind. My neighbor is a welder by trade and his son is also certified so I'm going to pass this by them. I live in the boonies so there are only 4 houses within a few miles. I'm thinking this is doable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals