• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

crazy ranger idea

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
well i have been popping my head in the street racing area for a little wile....all of thease guys with there hondas and crap

well i was thinking...make a ranger that would out do thease guys

i was thinking of getting the front l/s for a dana 28 with some lowering spring. then a sploder 8.8 and keeping it axil over leaf...then some nice sway bars with engery suspention bushing at all bushing area,...then find an areo star AWD t-case and all of the other crap that goes with it.slap that behind an m5od with a short throw shifter....

now for the motor...keep it a 2.9 and turbo it....easy way to turbo...have one of them turbos that go way down the line..like right behind the cat...i know it will have some turbo lag...i think you would really only want to run about 3psi in the 2.9 any way.....

but after words you could have an AWD gen 1 ranger that can keep up with some of the tuner cars...and you could evan rally race the damn thing:drool:

just shooting an idea out there

Last edited:

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
wow def. crazy but go for it sounds fun.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
or just slap a 50shot of nos on a 2.3. and smoke em. doesnt take much to out do 150hp vtech.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
well i kind of want to see what the 2.9 may be abld to do with some help....but that is....can the 2.9 hold up to 3 or 4 or more psi?....

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats not a whole lot of boost, depends what shape the motor is in. i would be more concerned about the driveline. you also wouldnt want a dyna 28, exspecially in all wheel drive.

Last edited:

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thats not a crazy idea if it was i wouldnt be doing it....well maybe i am crazy??? but im using something with a little more power then a v6. havnt started building yet due to no garage to work in. dont know how long the explorer x-caes is gonna hold up but it will be fun to find out.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Isn't some part of the AWD Tcase computer controlled?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes, thats why the aerostars say "electronic awd" on the fender badge. not sure exactly how it works though. slip grip probly

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i think the hard part is how to lower a ttb. i have thought about removing the diff and axle shafts and making my 4x4 a lowered 2wd. also, like mentioned, the t-case may be a weak point unless you find one that will slip to let more power to where it's needed. as for the 2.3t, that would be the way to go but i sure do understand 2.9 loyalty.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can buy lowered i-beam's, big money. or ive heard of people cold bending them. i dont know how safe though. but never a 4x4. i suppose you could do the opposit of coil spacers, chop the springs, use camber/caster busings.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you can buy lowered i-beam's, big money. or ive heard of people cold bending them. i dont know how safe though. but never a 4x4. i suppose you could do the opposit of coil spacers, chop the springs, use camber/caster busings.
my first guess was cutting springs then using adjustable camber bushings. i wonder how low you can go like that. i had never thought about cutting the beams though, i suppose if you can lift that way you can lower that way too. i doubt lowering the ttb has been done a whole lot so if anybody comes up with any useful info, please share...

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
well i am not thinking a hole lot...maby just 2 inches or so......or maby i could slap in an awd front end from the AWD sploders....can lowerthose a bit...and just slap in a gen 1 cab......but i would like to try just for the hell of it...know it would be heavy as hell with suspention parts...but i know stuff will hold up.....but that t-case from the areo stars...hmm....and does any one out there know how there AWD works?

also has any one really tryied to see what a 2.9 can do?...just know that the heads are a tad week..but with HUGE cooling system....maby 7 psi

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
a guy over on RPS sorta did this to a newer 4x4 Ranger. He swapped out the drivetrain from a 5.0 awd explorer then lowered it.

aggoodin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can safely and reliably boost 6 psi on any stock NA motor.

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
a guy over on RPS sorta did this to a newer 4x4 Ranger. He swapped out the drivetrain from a 5.0 awd explorer then lowered it.
This was my first thought. Why mix and match parts when you can grab the whole thing right out of an explorer. Build the 5.0 a bit, which can be done pretty cheap and then you'd have no problem hauling all that wheight around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals