• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Fullsize Ford Tech Articles

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Hey all,

In the coming months, I'd like to start working on a Tech Library soley for the fullsize Ford trucks.

I'm looking for tech articles and photos. If you have anything to contribute, please shoot me a PM or email me at jim@therangerstation.com.

Thanks!

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
This is a tech article on a Hydroboost swap on a 1993 F250 Diesel.

I got my parts from a 1991 F-Superduty.

1) Collect parts

You will need one hydroboost brake booster

Two power steering lines. From the pump to the brake booster.

From the booster to the steering box.

And one powersteering pump reservoir. This part is absolutely needed. It has two low pressure return ports. If you try to “T” the two return lines together, it will cause the brakes to drag after being applied. An unrestricted return line is absolutely critical to prevent this. (This image is in comparison to a ford ranger pump, the return on those pumps is different.)

2) Installation- disassembly.

Unbolt master cylinder from the vacuum booster. 2 nuts.

Remove vacuum hose. 1 clamp.

Remove clip retaining booster push rod to the brake pedal. 1 clip

Unbolt the booster from the fire wall and remove it. 4 nuts threaded on to studs on the booster.

Remove high pressure line from the power steering pump and from the steering box. It will drip some fluid.

Remove the fitting from the power steering pump. It takes a 15/16 socket. I will pop out. Make sure to catch it or these parts may come out with it. They are shown in order and position incase they do pop out, you can put them right back in.

Remove the power steering pump reservoir. With the fitting removed it pulls right off. Be aware that the reservoir still has fluid in it and will make a bit of a mess when you pull it off. My engine bay was already covered in grime so I just put a pan beneath where I was working and pulled it off. Disconnect the steering box return line. It was easier for me to do it in this order because of access.

3) Installation- reassembly
Pop the new reservoir on. There is a new O ring included with the reservoir. I chose not to install it as the old one was not leaking and it would have been very difficult to do given the access.

Install the new O rings on the fitting that holds the reservoir on.

Install the fitting and tighten. I don’t have a torque rating for this fitting. I just snugged it down a bit.

Reconnect the steering box return hose.

Install the hydroboost unit. Reconnect the pedal linkage and bolt it right up to the fire wall. This step is much easier if you have some one to help hold it up as it is quite heavy and you will be in an awkward position.

This is where you have two different choices. If you keep your master cylinder, you will be able to keep the divided reservoir that will retain some brake control if a brake line pops. The catch is that the spacing for the booster to master bolts is a little bit different. You can make it fit by filing the outsides of the holes.

The other alternative is to use the master from the F-450. It bolts up but the reservoir is not divided so it this will loose all the fluid if the new higher pressure booster pops a rusted brake line. This also involves rebleeding the brakes when your done.

Install the line from the hydroboost unit to the powersteering box. It is the slightly rusted line in this picture.

Install the line from the powersteering pump to the hydroboost unit.

Install the hydroboost return line and clamp it. I used a small hose clamp.

Add fluid to the pump reservoir. Remove the serpentine belt and spin the pump by hand until you need to add more fluid and repeat until all air is purged from the system or start the truck and do the same thing.

The risk here is that the ford powersteering pump is extremely intolerant of being run low on fluid. I started mine and pulled out of the garage. By the time I was out of the garage, It was whining and the sound has not gone away which tells me that the pump was permanently damaged. It still functions but it will forever make that noise.

Bleed the brakes if needed and take your newly upgraded brakes for a test drive. Be warned. The brakes will feel much different and will be much more sensitive.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Thanks!

I appreciate the article.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
73-79 Ford Truck 429/460 Engine Swap.

73-79 Ford Truck 460 swap.
This is for internal balanced (pre 1982) 460 motors only.
A lot of this info will also work on a 67-72 body style but I personally have not done a swap on that year truck but I know a lot of the parts will interchange.

Swapping a 460/429 into your 79 and older Ford can be really easy or really hard depending on your parts availability and your specific truck.
Ford only offered 460s in 2wd trucks from 73-79 a 460 never came in a 4wd or in a truck with a 4spd.

The swap can be performed with aftermarket parts or a factory parts depending on what your preference is. A whole swap kit can be ordered online to simply bolt a 460 in however the kit is around $1800.
Some trucks are more difficult than others to swap into. For example, a 2wd is easiest because there are already factory parts and mounts for the direct bolt in. A F150 4x4 or Bronco are second being most of the factory parts off a 2wd will fit right in the ½ ton 4x4 frame. Last a F250 or F350 4x4 is the hardest being the steering box is on the inside of the frame as opposed to the outside like the ½ ton. In addition to the swap you must also consider Air Conditioning if you truck has it. A/C can make the swap even harder.

BELLHOUSING AND FLYWHEEL
You will need a Transmission or a Bell housing from a 351M or 400. If your truck is auto you will just use a normal C6 trans and converter from the Modified motor and use a stock 460 flex plate. If you have a 4spd, it gets a little harder. You want a cast iron manual linkage style bell housing for a 4spd not an aluminum one. The aluminum bell housings are made for external balanced motors that require a thicker flywheel. If your truck had a 351M or 400 then you already have the correct bell housing. You will need to modify the tin shield. The ID needs to be opened up as show. For a flywheel you will need one from a 360-390 FE Ford motor. But make sure you get the one with the same tooth count as a 460. If you don’t your truck will eat 5 starters in a month, I found out the hard way about that. I provided a picture showing the different in the 351M 400 flywheel bolt pattern and the 360-390 flywheels. For a 460 just use a starter for a 351M-400 motor.

Stock 351M 400 Bellhousing from a 78 F250

Yellow part needs to be removed

L&L blowproof bellhousing.

360-390 is on left and 351M-400 on right.

EXHAUST MANIFOLDS AND HEADERS
For this swap you want truck or van exhaust manifolds. They can come from a Ford Van that had a 460 or a 2wd Ford truck with a 460. They also can come from an 80-up Ford truck that had a 460 motor. If you are using a car motor the driver’s side exhaust manifold is the same as a truck the passenger side car manifold does not fit and requires cutting the frame which then leads to a broken frame. Headers for a 2wd can be bought right for that application being it was a factory option. Headers for a 4x4 are “swap” headers which means they are expensive. These headers are available in both fender well exit and chassis exit. One of the most common brands is L&L. An average cost for a set of swap headers is around $600

Truck manifold on top, Car manifold on bottom.

Picture of car manifold in truck see how frame is cut. It was like this when I got the truck I'm gald it's only for parts because frame is already starting to crack.

This is a truck manifold in being used in a 79 F250 4x4 notice no cut frame.

Photos of my L&L fenderwell headers.

Tires rub when I turn and thats with 10" of lift and a D60 front which is wider than a D44. Keep this in mind before you purchase headers.

Drivers side manifold pic in a 78 2wd.

Pass side in 78 2wd.

Another pic of truck manifolds in a Bronco.

ACCESSORIES
If swapping into a 2wd try and find the factory brackets they will make things a lot easier. If you are swapping into a ½ ton 4x4 or Bronco the factory 73-79 2wd will also work as long as you have the standard alternator. Van accessories will also work in a lot of cases but the van brackets are big and bulky. Plus a van does not use the factory truck style power steering pump. Also in a lot of cases you can use the brackets for the accessories from an 80-up Ford truck. You can also buy all of the “swap” brackets online. Last you can also make the brackets; however, keep in mind that if the belts are not aligned properly they will fly off. I have seen many different homemade brackets and some are scary. However if you take some time and do a little fab work you can save a lot of cash here.

Van powersteering pump and bracket. It works but is very ugly looking.

side shot of same bracket.

Very ugly looking alt bracket. This was on the same truck with the cut frame.

Another van bracket but this truck has the A/C also.

This is the bought L&L alt bracket. This is used for F250/350 4x4s and trucks with the large 130 amp alt. Notice how they have a plate that bolts to the head to make a new location to bolt the alt. You can also make your own.

This is the set up I made for my truck because it is a 4x4 F250 and I have the large alt. I made a plate to relocate the alt also but I saved $250. :D

Pic of my powersteering bracket. I took a 2wd 78 460 bracket cut it in half and welded it back together.

I made another plate for the head on the drivers side to bolt the powersteering. Once again, I saved another $250 :icon_thumby:

Pic of the bought L&L powersteering bracket for a F250

80-up truck alt bracket with smog pump bracket cut off.

79 2wd powersteering bracket in a 78 Bronco.

Stock 78 2wd brackets in a 78 2wd.

RADS, WIRING, AND OILPAN
Wiring is easy you can use you factory truck harness, you may have to lengthen a few spots but the rest is the same. You will want at least the 3core 27” wide medium duty rad for a 460. If you tow or four wheel or even for a show truck that may sit in traffic a lot I would recommend the giant 4core “heavy duty cooling rad”. If your truck is a 2wd you need a front sump car or 2wd truck oil pan. If your truck is 4x4 you need a rear sump pan. This pan comes from any van or 80-up truck with a 460. You must also use the pick tube (make sure you grab the bolt with the stud that holds the pickup tube also this is different from a 400), oil pump and dipstick that matches this pan 2wd or car stuff will not work. If your truck is a F250 and lifted pretty high Then you can get away with using a front sump pan. But not in a 1/2 ton of Bronco it will hit the tracbar!

Rear sump pan currently on 85 truck motor.

Here is my front sump pan in my F250 Keep in mind I have a 7" suspension lift.

See how close it really is? The only reason I did this is beacuse the front springs hardly flex so it will never get any closer. My dad's F250 however only has a 4" lift and his front sup pan is smashed from hitting the dif. I would recomend a rear in all 4x4s.

Pic of my "heavy duty cooling" 4 core rad. This thing is masive. It actually should sit 3" higher but I lowered mine because of a 3" body lift.

MOTOR MOUNTS
There are few possibilities here also. First if you have a 2wd truck you can buy the correct mounts and frame brackets to bolt it right in. For a 4wd it gets tougher. There are a few companies that offer “swap” mounts once again expensive. I have seen people bolt the 351M mounts to a plate of steel then bolt that to the 460 but this makes the motor sit too high. I have seen various other mounts had had hole slotted and used. But so far the best homemade are mounts from a mid 70s Ford Full-size car. The ears where the through bolt should go were cut off. Then the rivet that went through the middle was drilled out and replaced with a grade 8 ½ bolt that was welded to the steel back of the motor mount creating a stud. These mounts look very similar to factory mounts that would be on a 351M or 400 but they fit the 460 and set right down into the stock motor mount frame pedestals.

Pic of stock 2wd 73-79 truck motor mounts. This is everything for one side. You will need all 6 pieces total plus some bolts.

2wd frame brackets and mounts

close up of bought L&L mounts.

These are the homemade motor mounts using car mounts and drilling out a rivet and welding in a bolt.

I hope that this article helps when it comes time to swap in your big block. Keep in mind that if you don't want to go to the junk yard and search parts and fabricate like I did, you can purchase a complete install kit online. If you chose to buy one from L&L porducts, you would get the same parts that are in some of these photos of my trucks.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Thamks for the articles metalmacguyver and 1badexplorer! :icon_thumby:

I'd like to find someone whos done a SAS on a Fullsize Ford.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Sas for 1983?-1985 F350s, and 1983-1997 F250s.

Support truck by frame,
remove brake calipers from knuckles and wire to frame out of the way,
Unbolt front drive shaft from axle,
Unbolt drag link from pitman arm.
Unbolt TTb from leaf springs
Unbolt pivot brackets from frame
Dispose of TTB.

Install trac bar bracket on frame, 3 bolts.
Slide axle under truck, bolt up to leaf springs.
Install trac bar.
Attach draglink to pitman arm
Install calipers on D60 knuckles.

Drive your now solid axle truck.

Note.... I also swapped my hubs/rotors from my TTB over to my D60.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Thanks to those who have contributed.

The foundations for the site are coming together. I'm hoping to get more information to add once the site is up 01/01/2010. Hopefully once people see it and see the commitment to the fullsize trucks, they'll want to share and participate. This isn't going to be just another 'forum site' I'm dedicated to a full tech site with information permanently committed to html web pages.

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I couldn't find where to submit Tech Articles for full sized trucks so I am just going to post here. Jim, if you do choose to use the article feel free to edit out the story. I am only telling it so people can see the symptoms of the problem.

I was on vacation driving a 2003 F-250 with the 6.0 Powerstroke and Auto transmission. I pulled into a Gas Station to fill up. After I filled up I got in and started it up and saw that I had NO guages. None of them worked at all. I checked the fuses that had to do with the instrument cluster and all were ok. I said screw it I don't really need the guages and I was getting close to my destination. I took off and made it about 25 miles down the road and noticed that all the lights started getting dim. I pulled into an AutoZone and just as I parked, the truck died. Both batteries were totally dead. I had AZ charge both batteries and check my alternator. It turns out the alternator was bad so I replaced it in the parking lot. After replacing it, I started the truck up but the guages still didn't work. I checked every single fuse until I found number 45 blown. It said it was an "ignition system" fuse, so I replaced it started up the truck and the guages worked. I then put it in drive and the guages quit again and the #45 fuse blew. Here is how I fixed it.

I removed the lower steering column cover.

Turn key to the ON position, press in a little button on the bottom of the ignition, then slide entire ignition out and set it aside.

With the ignition out of the way you can now remove the top column cover to access the wiring.

The OverDrive wire had rubbed through the wire coating and would ground out every time you moved the shifter.

Put a little electrical tape on the wire and put a new fuse in and you are ready to go.

PS - According to others that have had this problem, if fuse 45 blows, it will kill your guages and also makes the truck run solely on the batteries, so I don't know if I didn't need to replace the alternator or what. I just left the new one in because I needed to get on the road and start my vacation.

Last edited:

schlutzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I can contribute quite a bit for the 94.5-03 f250+ trucks.

Just tell me the best way to do it..

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Just post the info here along with whatever photos you have to go with it.

schlutzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Some is pretty involved...

I have about 40 000pages in PDF files too on top of the mods and write ups I've done

Edit: Here is a link to a forum ( apologize if thats Taboo... been so long I forget ) where I did a write up on adding power windows/lock to a 99-01 truck that didn't come with.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-powerstroke-interior-discussion/480442-how-99-9-factory-power-window-lock-mirror-install.html

I've got some new pictures and would be able to clean it up a bit.

I could also quickly do a write up for zf6 swap....

And other things as I have time.

Also Jim, wasn't there another forum you started that was dedicated to the Full size trucks?

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

I have about 40 000pages in PDF files too on top of the mods and write ups I've done

Edit: Here is a link to a forum ( apologize if thats Taboo... been so long I forget ) where I did a write up on adding power windows/lock to a 99-01 truck that didn't come with.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-powerstroke-interior-discussion/480442-how-99-9-factory-power-window-lock-mirror-install.html

Also Jim, wasn't there another forum you started that was dedicated to the Full size trucks?
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Yes, I had started a forum at www.blueovaltrucks.com, but it was getting spammed way more than it was getting used, so I closed it and just linked to this Fullsize Ford Truck Forum here. If it got enough use and I had someone to moderate it for spam, I would have kept it open.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

I transferred that article here:

http://blueovaltrucks.com/tech/factory_power_window-lock-mirror_install.shtml

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals