• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear leaf mount broken - advice on repair

borjawil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The suspension section doesn't seem to have a "stock" suspension help forum so I'm posting here.

94 4.0L ext cab

Driver side, front leaf mount rusted/broke from frame. Im a fabricator and welder and have my portable unit with me but I'm not at my shop/home. Never had to do this repair so looking for advice and tips on fixing this.

My thoughts are to jack up the rear from the frame to make the leaf mount fall into stock position. Clean up the area and attempt to weld it back in place. I luckily have a few scrap pieces of flat stock that will help reinforce the area.

I guess I'm looking for help more int he how to get the mount back to where I want it, anything to look out for when welding it back on, etc. The upper half of the mount is still connected to the frame, the lower portion where the leaf eye mounts is separated.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Replacement brackets are pretty readily available. Autozone and some other auto parts stores even stock the replacements. Lot easier than trying to weld the rotted metal back together. Knock out the rivets in the frame and bolt the replacement on. Hardest part is usually trying to get the bolt out of the bushing, sometimes it’s easiest to burn out the bushing and put a new one in. If it’s just the shackle that went, then you just need to deal with two bushings. Replacement shackles often come with new bolts and bushings

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, Dorman makes replacements.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If this is a get you home fix;

The bushing will have taken a set and probably won't want to line up easily. All I can suggest is to try to use whatever you have on hand to turn the piece into position. Pipe wrench. Even weld a loop on to the piece and run a bar thru. That and a jack to force it up. You'll have to play around with two jacks, one on the frame and one on the spring eye. Maybe a ratchet strap or two could come in handy.

Good luck.

borjawil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep planned on repairing the frame, drop shackles in rear for a mild pre runner setup, and new mounts in the front. Just a get me home fix right now. Luckily had some steel on my to make a new support.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have water running in the bed above where you will be applying any heat, it WILL blister the paint if you don't keep it cool.

Long term you should pull the bed off and replace all 4 hangers, much easier to do with bed off, rear hangers are usually the first to go
Only 6 bolts hold bed on
3 screws for filler tube and a wiring connector for tail lights

Awkward for one person to move but not heavy, two people make it easy

Last edited:

borjawil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep definitely removing the bed so I can sand blast the frame, repair sections, weld in gussets, put in my kartek drop hangers, replace the front hangers, etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals