• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

strange rubbing sound w/ each revolution??

far_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hi yall so i'm a pretty green ford (or any auto) owner, and new to driving standard as well (but have picked it up pretty well). very briefly had a 92 f-150 a few years ago that i did some work on but had to give it up. i just bought a 1992 ranger 2.3l 4x4 with about 216x miles. its definitely in pretty solid shape and has had a fair amount of work/maintenance put into it (unfortunately did not come with a log) and runs pretty damn well.

i tend to be someone who hears a sound in a machine and needs to know where it's coming from otherwise i will obsess over it. my truck is making a sound! as they do. but i have the feeling this one is indicative of something i should address (or it's just a sound that my truck makes and i'll be fine once i know what it is). the issue is a kind of rubbing sound (with accompanying vibration i feel in the pedals, floorboard & even the wheel a bit) from the front end. i mostly notice it when i'm coasting or generally under 30ish and at a constant speed or slowing. my hunch is that its still there during acceleration/higher speeds but it blends in more as other sounds increase. it seems to come about once per revolution.

some notes about the truck: when i got it, the dude said he'd put new tires on and then the truck came to need an alignment and the front tires had lost about the inner 1/8th of tread from rubbing on the frame. it had been aligned since, i just replaced the front tires (different tires than on the back). it has not been aligned since i've had it, altho it feels fine to me. i don't see anywhere the tires could possibly be rubbing as of now.

things i'm wondering about from the little bit of reading i've done: carrier bearing, pinion bearing, or axle. or the tires being different tread? but i'm pretty sure dude mentioned this issue but was figuring it was more related to needing the front tires replaced.

what do yall think? i think thats most of the relevant information i have but i'll report anything else i think of. thanks for your time & knowledge!

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Other possibilities;
Warped rotor rubbing brake pads.
Worn out drive axle u-joint.
Drive shaft u-joint.

far_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Iim waitin for a dryish day to be able to try and get sum work done, but until then, whats the range of immmediacy with which these potential issues would need to be addresses? i travel a lot/live in my truck and am an intense worrier.

btw thank you fpr the addional tips!

BarnesAM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes a worn out wheel bearing will make the sound you're describing as well. The easiest wat to check this is through tempurature (worn bearings are always way too hot after driving for a little while). If you have acces to a thermometer gun, drive the truck around a couple miles, making sure to get it over 30mph for a little while, then read the temps on the end of the wheel hub. Even without a thermo gun (I don't have one), you can actually use your hand. A hub running at normal temp will not be too hot to touch, but be careful, as if you do have a worn bearing that hub can burn you. Anyway, if there's one much hotter than the rest, you've got your culprit.

Another thing to check would be brake drag (one or more calipers not releasing all the way, and dragging while you're driving). You can check this by jacking up each wheel, and with the truck in neutral and no parking brake (be sure to chauk the wheels) spin the jacked up wheel by hand. If you find one that does not spin freely, you've got brakes dragging.

bthom111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hi yall so i'm a pretty green ford (or any auto) owner, and new to driving standard as well (but have picked it up pretty well). very briefly had a 92 f-150 a few years ago that i did some work on but had to give it up. i just bought a 1992 ranger 2.3l 4x4 with about 216x miles. its definitely in pretty solid shape and has had a fair amount of work/maintenance put into it (unfortunately did not come with a log) and runs pretty damn well.

i tend to be someone who hears a sound in a machine and needs to know where it's coming from otherwise i will obsess over it. my truck is making a sound! as they do. but i have the feeling this one is indicative of something i should address (or it's just a sound that my truck makes and i'll be fine once i know what it is). the issue is a kind of rubbing sound (with accompanying vibration i feel in the pedals, floorboard & even the wheel a bit) from the front end. i mostly notice it when i'm coasting or generally under 30ish and at a constant speed or slowing. my hunch is that its still there during acceleration/higher speeds but it blends in more as other sounds increase. it seems to come about once per revolution.

some notes about the truck: when i got it, the dude said he'd put new tires on and then the truck came to need an alignment and the front tires had lost about the inner 1/8th of tread from rubbing on the frame. it had been aligned since, i just replaced the front tires (different tires than on the back). it has not been aligned since i've had it, altho it feels fine to me. i don't see anywhere the tires could possibly be rubbing as of now.

things i'm wondering about from the little bit of reading i've done: carrier bearing, pinion bearing, or axle. or the tires being different tread? but i'm pretty sure dude mentioned this issue but was figuring it was more related to needing the front tires replaced.

what do yall think? i think thats most of the relevant information i have but i'll report anything else i think of. thanks for your time & knowledge!
In hopes that you will read this, did you ever find a solution? What was the culprit?

I am dealing with the same issue currently in my 05 Ranger. Replaced calipers and driver side CV axle. The noise persists in the same cyclical, pulsing way that you described.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals