• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My dual muffler, dual exhaust system

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wanted to show you guys the exhaust system I pieced together in my garage.

I didn't set out to build it this way, but I couldn't get a sound I liked with the Flowmaster knockoff I was originally using and I was trying to get the truck done inside of 4 days.

So, here's the story:

Originally I started out with a Dynomax 2 1/4" mid-pipe (cat to muffler), Dynomax 2 1/2" tailpipe, and a Hooker turbo muffler I found cheap on ebay. I also used the Dynomax muffler bracket they include in their cat back kit.

Drove it this way for a week, didn't really like the sound, and the tailpipe kept falling down because it didn't fit the muffler very well. In general it pissed me off and I didn't need the truck right at that time so I decided to park it and work on a dual exhaust setup.

I originally had this big weird "Flowsound" muffler that was basically two-2 chamber mufflers end to end in one long case. I also bought Heartthrob tailpipes, cut them down a bit and welded 45's on the end so I could exit it out the sides at a 45, with 3.5" x 18" Jones stainless tips.

I put that all on, drove it around, hated it, and it was louder than I wanted. Took it back home and needed it done in 4 days. Couldn't get a single in/dual out muffler locally that I knew of but an idea popped into my head to run dual mufflers off a Y pipe.

So, I went to advance auto parts and bought 2 Thrush Turbo mufflers and a section of 2.5" pipe.

Took that all home, hacked up the 2.5" pipe and built a Y-pipe (yes I have a flux core mig so the welds are a little ugly):

I modified the Dynomax bracket (pretty much just cut off the ends of the hangers and reversed them) to offset it enough to fit on the outside muffler with the Y pipe attached.

Since there was nothing supporting the inside muffler, and there was a hole in the frame near the rear of the mufflers, I built a frame bracket to hold a rubber isolator, and a hanger that would give a sort of cantilever support to the inside muffler.

And the end result with the tailpipes was this:

I'm happy with it, sounds good at idle, pretty mellow through the RPM range...still a bit buzzy but it's a V6 so what can you do. I mostly did it for looks and on that I am very happy, it looks great and the 18" long tips worked perfect for this.

Last edited:

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Instead of making one pipe go into two mufflers cut the place where the two manifolds meet each other (the stock y pipe) and make it a true dual where the pipes never cross. It will sound like a v8 at idle and when not ran hard

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought about that but I'm a bit leery on cutting the factory Y pipe, especially since I'm not sure how long I will keep this truck.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I thought about that but I'm a bit leery on cutting the factory Y pipe, especially since I'm not sure how long I will keep this truck.
I just did mine today, its not worth the effort and pain to get it done right

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you will lose power with straight pipes.

neat job though working with what ya got.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals