• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95-97 Disc Upgrade Question

Gayle Force

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When upgrading my 2WD 1983 Ranger to a 95-97 knuckle/disc setup, do I need to upgrade to the 89-97 Radius arm as well or can I use the original ones?

I am aware the beam is different, I will be ordering a 89-97 drop beam set.

Thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno on 2wd but for 4wd people keep the older style radius arms to keep the same shock mount and to keep the same stabilizer bar setup (that is kind of inside the beams)

2wd's may be different but 4wd's are a bolt in swap.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
What is the benefit of changing the knuckle? Is the 95-97 series something special, or is it just parts availability?
Is this is done to get disk brakes vs drum?
tom

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When upgrading my 2WD 1983 Ranger to a 95-97 knuckle/disc setup, do I need to upgrade to the 89-97 Radius arm as well or can I use the original ones?

I am aware the beam is different, I will be ordering a 89-97 drop beam set.

Thanks
Yes, you can use the original ones. There are some minor differences, but nothing that affects how they connect or function. IIRC it's the difference is how the lower shock mount is made.

What is the benefit of changing the knuckle? Is the 95-97 series something special, or is it just parts availability?
Is this is done to get disk brakes vs drum?
tom
All Rangers** have had disk brakes in front. 95-97 2wd Rangers have a dual piston caliper. All earlier 2wd Rangers had a single piston caliper. The way that the steering knuckle connects to the beam changed in 89, so 89-97 beams are needed to do the swap. So, by swapping the later model components you get a little bit of a brake upgrade.

Is the upgrade worth the effort, I can't personally say since I've never done it. A lot of people have and they seem to think that it is. In a case like Gayle Force, he is buying beams to lower the truck any way, I say it is definitely worth the added price to upgrade at the same time.

** Some people will argue that the early full size "Ranger" trucks had drum brakes all around. Prior to the introduction of the Ranger in 83, the name was used for a trim package. Those early trucks weren't Rangers, but it is a source of confusion because some refer to them that way.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It also turns the part that the brake pads wear on into a replacement part.

With the side pin setup they can wear their slot in the knuckle and then move, get cocked in there and bind up. My parents '94 Explorer had that nasty habit, would rip the chunks of the lining off and tear the heck out of the rotors.

With the bolt on calipers (95-97) you can simply replace the caliper mounting bracket as opposed to the whole knuckle.

It is just a much more modern brake setup.

I wasn't specifically shopping for one (my '85 is 30.5 years old and the factory slide pin brakes work perfectly) but when a '95 Ranger axle with the right gearing came up sale I jumped on it, the updated brakes were a nice addition.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
tomw (and whoever else is interested):

The change to '95-97 knuckles allows further brake upgrades:

The stock '95-97 uses 10.28" rotors/matching caliper; the '98+ Ranger can have exact parts (There is minor difference - 98+ rotors have 2.83" hub registry so you need 98+ rims; pre-'98s have 2.50 hub registry).

But '98+ Rangers can have 11.28" rotors/matching caliper (actually that isn't 100% true: caliper is identical from '95-'11, it is the bracket that the caliper mounts to which spaces the caliper out 0.500", but you can't buy the bracket separate, although you can just pull it at wrecker). Hopefully, that makes sense...

A further upgrade is the '02-05 Explorer Sport Trac RWD, which has 12" rotors, calipers in which the pistons are another 2mm larger and brackets which make it all fit (0.250" further out than the Ranger ones). Now, RWD Sport Tracs being rare in wrecker yards, I had to shell out for new parts...

And there is significant difference between 10.28" rotors with 46mm pistons and 12.01" rotors with 48mm pistons! (About 1/3 more power)

Note: The Sport Trac solution does require 16" wheels with 2.83" hub registry; the OEM 14" wheels no longer work.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Ok so since I've done the knuckle swap on my 94 rwd ranger with 97 parts . I can upgrade to the sport trac rotors with sport trac caliber brackets and still use my 97 calipers ? I'm at the jy often and can get the brackets . Rotors I'd get new from the parts house with my work discount . With the 5.0 in there now . Every bit helps

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ATX:

Theory says yes.

I know:

You can swap the Explorer calipers onto the Ranger brackets, I have that on one of my other Rangers
The Sport Trac RWD Rotor is identical to larger Ranger, just 0.73" larger O.D.
So, existing caliper should bolt into 2WD Sport Trac brackets...

Bleeding brakes is a bit of pain, but why not leave the calipers in brackets, take whole thing and get the slightly better calipers too?

I want to stop better than my 331 goes; so Sport Trac upgrades in front and Explorer discs in rear...

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Yeah I may get the calipers . Just my brakes are coming soon in the front . So since I'm getting new rotors . May as well upgrade . Brackets at my jy I go to are cheap . Calipers they charge a bit for some reason . Maybe I'll just grab them anyway . It's a night and day difference since I did the 96 expo diff swap with disk . So bearing would still all be the same to I guess . Thanks man for the great info for sure .

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check out the tech library. All the brake upgrade info is in there.

I think I get how Don came up with what he said, because I was looking at similar to upgrade my '99 4x4 a little while back. Unfortunately he's got it wrong where the 95-97 is concerned.

Been a while since I looked into it so memory is a little rusty, but 11.28" inch brakes are not a bolt on option for the 95-97 Rangers. The 12" are not bolt on either even if you could get a set of the brackets that gumby (rps member) used to make, the spindle had to be ground down for the bracket to install.

The only bolt on upgrade currently available for your 94 is the 95-97 components. The 12" sport track can still be done if you are comfortable with your welding skills, the info is in the tech library.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Yea ive already got 97 stuff bolted on just figure a cheap lil bolt upgrade on top of that would be cool since I need new rotors , but if it's not no biggie. Am looking for a better master though since the expo 8.8 swap . Stops fine but feel it could get a lil firmer petal out of it

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you tried an expo master?

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
No , have a used one on my shelf here at the shop that I was for the 96 5.0 donor . Don't really wanna throw a used one on . so since I'll buy a new one mostly I heard some year f-250 , etc would work with a bigger bore . Been a while since I've looked in the brake tech section . Came across this thread in my unread and thought someone found a new option .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals