• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

K&N 77 Series Air Intake System

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Recently I bought new air intake system from K&N. And I figured I would review it after a few hundred miles.
You can check it out here.
http://www.knfilters.com/77series/77series.htm#&&/wEXBgUIQVBQX1RZUEUFBGF1dG8FDlJFRkVSRU5DRV9OQU1FBQpBUFBfRU5HSU5FBQpBUFBfRU5HSU5FBQ1TZWxlY3QgRW5naW5lBQlBUFBfTU9ERUwFBlJhbmdlcgUIQVBQX01BS0UFBEZPUkQFCEFQUF9ZRUFSBQQyMDA3ITPS6ggsJk0wU/Nl0rT6dJU65Nv7/+3e7wte+NBGvRs=

Well, I guess the first question was, does it really give you more horsepower?

Yes, I have a OBD II reader that allows me to see the HP, and while its not as accurate I was able to notice a 8-10 HP gain. Its not much you do actually notice it once you get past 5K rpm but you really aren't going to be at that rpm for very long unless you want to say bye bye to your gas.

Was it easy to install?

Yeah, took me maybe 30 minutes fairly straightforward.

Did it come with everything?

Yep, everything was in the box. So I was looking for something that wasn't there.

Does it look and sound good?

Hell yes. You can even hear it sucking in air.

Gas mileage?

Considering I don't drive very fuel conservatively I don't get very good gas mileage, but I'm sure if you drove normally you would actually get a bit better gas mileage. Maybe 1-2 but your mileage may vary.

Price?

344 smakaroos. It is on the expensive side, but the thing is I feel as if it was money well spent. It feels high quality. Nothing feels cheap. It came well organized and even the box looks good. Everything during the install fit perfectly, everything feels secure and strong. The chrome stands out and while no one is really ever going to see it, I think its cool. The filter is nice. It is washable and reusable. My only complaint as it doesn't come with the drycharger bag, its sort of a pre filter for offroading. I guess the main point is that this is kind of the base for tuning. If you plan on adding serious performance to your vehicle you need one of these, it defiantly helps the airflow better than that stock plastic box. Overall I am happy with this, but I'm sure the price is going to be a turnoff for some people.
Oh yeah, here's the finished install.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My truck came with a similar setup, but probably not as large a filter as that one. I was debating whether to use it at all since I have an air box from a 3.0 that I was going to use...it also has a K&N filter inside the box...just a matter of fit when it comes time to set up the engine bay...

Price is a bit steep for my liking...but if I had a 4.0 and plenty of dough I consider it...

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
i just installed the SAME k/n kit in my 99 today ( has SOHC motor)............ i had the older OHV style one before and it was a good kit. i got mine from jegs for 282 shipped!

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have something similar in my 94. It was supposed to be for a 96-97 I think but it fits, forgot where I got it, just had to put some reflective insulation on the top rad hose to keep heat down. The truck it was designed for has a lower hose than the 94.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You'll get more real benefit from a drop-in K&N filter and a stock air box. With those big under the hood cones you're trading cool air induction (stock) for mucho-volume warm/hot air induction (it's hot under the hood). They make it growl, but little else...kinda like those coffee can tail pipe tips you see on the hotrod ricers.

ianyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I got the same setup on mine, for the past three years, still going strong.
If you do a lot of off-roading, you might wanna check into one of these;

It'll prevent all the dust clinging to the filter, and locks out water

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
It does look really nice on your truck. I put one on a Porsche and the car rejected it. Porsche does have a unforgiving computer system. I ended up Craig-listing that POC. I mean the whole car. I had also put a drop in on my wives 07 3.0 Fusion. The reason is I had trouble finding a new filter for it when in the store. That Fusion has given us error free service since we bought it. Great car. I took the K&N off and put the Motorcraft back on. I couldn't accept the whole oiling thing and expect to go longer w/ it. I felt better changing out the original yearly. Remember, "Chrome Don't Get Ya Home". Seriously I hope you enjoy it.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I got the same setup on mine, for the past three years, still going strong.
If you do a lot of off-roading, you might wanna check into one of these;

It'll prevent all the dust clinging to the filter, and locks out water
Thats the drycharger bag I was talking about.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You'll get more real benefit from a drop-in K&N filter and a stock air box. With those big under the hood cones you're trading cool air induction (stock) for mucho-volume warm/hot air induction (it's hot under the hood). They make it growl, but little else...kinda like those coffee can tail pipe tips you see on the hotrod ricers.
My brother's '97 4.6 F-150 has a cheap CAI, my '02 5.4 F-150 has the stock intake sucking out of the fender well. Aside from his non PI truck having a smaller opening at the fender both trucks use the same intake originally. As they sit right now neither truck deviates much more than 10-15 IAT over ambient air temperature when moving (they both go up as they sit and idle)

It is hot under the hood, it heats up the intake which warms the air travelling through it so it comes out at something of a wash where the air comes from in the first place.

That said it is too much money IMO for 7-10hp.

I ditched my K&N drop in when I moved to a gravel road. The only way you can get more air through a given sized opening is with bigger holes. Not worth it with fine gravel dust hanging in the air. The butt dyno did not notice a difference with or without it.

A tune, CAI, regear and true duals really made the 4.6 a force to be reckoned with though. It was one of the first things he did so I can't really speak of how much of a role it played in the final result though.

Last edited:

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Most of the benefit from CAI in production vehicles is perceived benefit because it adds more pickup and a few more marginal hp. But production vehicles are built to run within certain parameters governed by the computer/ECM/PCM so trying to make your big air pump better/faster/more efficient is limited by those parameters. MAF is better than the old speed density systems, but the same rule applies...you can only force factory engineering to do so much and then you hit a wall...the vehicle can't burn/digest more fuel/air than it was designed for without serious re-engineering.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Very nice! You have same setup I have, except your engine makes decent power stock, mine was desperation LOL.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My brother's '97 4.6 F-150 has a cheap CAI, my '02 5.4 F-150 has the stock intake sucking out of the fender well. Aside from his non PI truck having a smaller opening at the fender both trucks use the same intake originally. As they sit right now neither truck deviates much more than 10-15 IAT over ambient air temperature when moving (they both go up as they sit and idle)

It is hot under the hood, it heats up the intake which warms the air travelling through it so it comes out at something of a wash where the air comes from in the first place.

That said it is too much money IMO for 7-10hp.

I ditched my K&N drop in when I moved to a gravel road. The only way you can get more air through a given sized opening is with bigger holes. Not worth it with fine gravel dust hanging in the air. The butt dyno did not notice a difference with or without it.

A tune, CAI, regear and true duals really made the 4.6 a force to be reckoned with though. It was one of the first things he did so I can't really speak of how much of a role it played in the final result though.
As far as acceleration goes, I have had great results with my 3.0. It's went from having to WOT to keep up with traffic at a light to being reasonably quick, on flat land anyway. Still can't maintain speed real well up steep mountain highways.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most of the benefit from CAI in production vehicles is perceived benefit because it adds more pickup and a few more marginal hp. But production vehicles are built to run within certain parameters governed by the computer/ECM/PCM so trying to make your big air pump better/faster/more efficient is limited by those parameters. MAF is better than the old speed density systems, but the same rule applies...you can only force factory engineering to do so much and then you hit a wall...the vehicle can't burn/digest more fuel/air than it was designed for without serious re-engineering.
The new new ones with variable cam timing and all that really wake up with an intake swap. Like the new 5.0 Mustangs, a JLT and a good tune is quite a bit of improvement.

As far as acceleration goes, I have had great results with my 3.0. It's went from having to WOT to keep up with traffic at a light to being reasonably quick, on flat land anyway. Still can't maintain speed real well up steep mountain highways.
It really helped his 4.6 in combination with everything else. In the fullsize world the 4.6 is similar to the 3.0 in a Ranger. But as far as pumping in hot engine bay air it is about the same as stock.

But $350 for 7-10hp on its own isn't that great of an investment IMO. His was a few years ago but less than $100.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think the CAI Mastuh put under his hood looks good, just commenting on how you can get separated from your cash by wild marketing claims that are more hype than fact.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I think the CAI Mastuh put under his hood looks good, just commenting on how you can get separated from your cash by wild marketing claims that are more hype than fact.
I agree; and am a fine one to consul on this. You can look at my ride and see quite a bit of waste. It has become a toy to me. I could also do much worse w/ the money. I am careful w/ rearranging things that Ford did to make the vehicle street-able. It just runs too darn good to mess with. I don't mean fast, but that isn't what it was built for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals