• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throwout bearing

gabestalker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So it's very obvious that I need to replace my throwout bearing. I've never done this on the ten cars I've owned so I'm a little nervous to do it. If anyone has any tips or suggestions please tell! If I do decide to do it myself I'll also be replacing the slave cylinder. Btw, this is a 1996 ranger 3.0 v6.

Thanks in advance

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No real surprises.

Quick disconnect often isn't so "quick"

put trans in neutral, remove gear shift
remove drive line
support back of engine
remove trans and support

If you are just doing the throwout bearing and slave then you won't need to pull pressure plate and clutch

But I would check the width of the clutch disc just in case it is more than 1/2 worn, might be more economical to just do the full swap while you are in there

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
If you the clutch needs replaced, replace the flywheel or have the existing one resurfaced. I wish I would've realized the difference it made the last time I did it.

If you are replacing the throw out bearing, replace the pilot bearing as well. I mounts inside the end of the crankshaft. Use a blind hole bearing puller to remove it, otherwise it seems impossible.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pilot_bearing.shtml

You'll have to bleed the new slave cylinder. Some people have a tough time with it, but mine was cooperative.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/bleedclutch.shtml

Good luck.

gabestalker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No real surprises.

Quick disconnect often isn't so "quick"

put trans in neutral, remove gear shift
remove drive line
support back of engine
remove trans and support

If you are just doing the throwout bearing and slave then you won't need to pull pressure plate and clutch

But I would check the width of the clutch disc just in case it is more than 1/2 worn, might be more economical to just do the full swap while you are in there

Yeah i'm starting to lean towards doing the full swap while i have everything off. Thanks for the tips

gabestalker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you the clutch needs replaced, replace the flywheel or have the existing one resurfaced. I wish I would've realized the difference it made the last time I did it.

If you are replacing the throw out bearing, replace the pilot bearing as well. I mounts inside the end of the crankshaft. Use a blind hole bearing puller to remove it, otherwise it seems impossible.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pilot_bearing.shtml

You'll have to bleed the new slave cylinder. Some people have a tough time with it, but mine was cooperative.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/bleedclutch.shtml

Good luck.
I plan on replacing the pilot bearing also. i'll look into getting the blind hole bearing puller. Thanks for all the tips

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont know for sure on the 3.0 but my pilot bearing rides in the flywheel. Pull the flywheel to resurface and knock the bearing out and replace. I just replaced the flywheel on my 94, about $50 at autozone, the old one had many spiderweb surface cracks. It had been resurfaced a couple of times and may have had enough removed to cause some shifting issues. One thing I found is is you replace 1 part of the clutch hydralic system the other one will fail shortly afterwards. again autozone has decent parts at a decent price with lifetime warranty. This is the 3d clutch system I have gotten from them in 250000 miles. I installed their master also LT guarantee with the slave. While you have driveshaft out, now is good tme to check R&R the u-joints and carrier bearing.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I bought the Rat for 600 bux. I'll just put in a new disc and call it good. So I joined TRS on line for advice .. I had a heck of time getting the transmission out. I sure dont want to do it again .I replaced everything from the crank hub out. Well , not everything, I still need the pedal pad. I can't fault the job though. I drove manuals for 25 yrs, The only car that comes close is my son's 533i. It had new everything too. The clutch is smoo-ooth. The CSB not so much.:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals