• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rumble from new brakes

Pete99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'97 Ranger XL, 4WD, 3.0 V6, 191K

A couple of weeks ago, I had a lot of front end work done – ball joints replaced, U joints replaced, rotors replaced, and since they were already in there I had them do the pads as well. Of this work, pretty much only the pads were something I would have otherwise done myself.

Last week I had to go back in because one of the U joints had gotten noisy again. This was fixed satisfactorily, but now I am having another problem: when I brake, just before the truck comes to a full stop, there is a deep rumbling/almost grinding noise coming from the passenger side wheel, the one where they fixed the U joint twice.

The sound is a little like an ABS vibration, though far less normal sounding (and like I said, it ends almost grinding). It's only at the very end of the braking, and only if I actually stop.

I haven't gone in and looked around yet, but any off-the-top-of-your head ideas? I want the third trip in to the garage to be the last one, and at this point I feel like I need to tell them exactly what to do.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
do you feel anything in the brake pedal?
i would start by looking for warped rotor, wheel bearings, spindle bearings, anything rubbing, or just abnormal movement in the front end...

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
First, check the rotor to see if it's warped. It sounds like a brake-related issue. Might also be a good time to check fory brake fluid lines are bled of all air.

The other thing I am actually concerned about are the wheel bearings. These tend to have a way of working themselves loose over time, or if they are not install properly (the locknuts are too tight or too loose), then premature wear can occur. At extreme wear, the tires lean, work against your rotors, and the grinding can come from multiple places.

Silly, but did you make sure the shop replaced 2 brake pads per side?

Scy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Any answer yet Pete99? I have the exact same noise after getting new rotors, bearings, and ball joints. Mine is on the left side though.

I took my wheel off for a quicky look the other day and no indication of anything amiss.
I will be taking the brakes and calipers off this weekend for a hard look. Any chance you used Wagner Ceramic pads? I am thinking about swapping the pads from one side to the other to narrow things down a bit.

Scy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update on my brake grinding problem. I took my left wheel brake caliper and pads off for a close look and found no visual defects. Nothing loose and what needed lube was well lubed.
I was stumped so I ordered a new set of pads from Amazon, got them in 2 day's, installed them and the grinding disappeared.
May be I had a defective pad or two. Whatever the reason, I'm glad the annoying sound is gone.

BTW the first set of pads were Wagner ThermoQuiet. The second set was Wagner QuickStop Ceramic at 10 bucks cheaper.

To the OP, I hope you sort your problem out too.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It is the pads causing the grumbling/rumbling noise. Mine did it as I came to a stop (last 5 seconds or so), coming down a steepish hill. Don't know why. I do know that some Mustangs have something called an "anti-moan" bracket on the brake assembly.

On my 02 I had that noise for a year or so. It started soon after I had the brakes done by a local shop. And, those pads wore out very quickly, less than 18000 miles. Anyway, I replaced them with the mid-cost pads from O'Reillys (don't remember which brand) and the noise is gone.

Ed

Last edited:

Scy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe it was the anti squeal rubber-like backing on the Thermoquiet's. Supposedly it eliminates the need to lube the backing plate, so I didn't grease the backing plate. First time I used that type.

Next time I'll just get Napa brand ceramic. Keep it simple.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals