• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What years are the best for explorer's?

96rangerdanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Buying an explorer and wondering what years are the most reliable in terms of motor, tranny etc.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Personally I think the '91 to '94 are the best years. They are the ones built more like a Ranger and have the TTB suspension. They're more durable and better for when you want to drive down a road that isn't maintained or get up that goat trail. They also have the OHV 4.0, which is arguably more reliable than a OHC 4.0.

I own a '91 Navajo 2-door, which is essentially an Explorer Sport. Navajos are a little sportier, and I think they look better.

On this forum, you probably won't find much love for the '95 and newer Explorers, and I personally would never buy one. They are less reliable than the older ones when you beat the tar out of them, but are better than the average SUV from those years. I still see a LOT of them on the road here.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, all the Explorer engines are pretty good. The 4.0 and 5.0 are both well proven, and the 4.6 has very few common issues as well.

The transmissions are another issue. The M5OD manual is a very very good transmission. The 4r and 5r are decent transmissions, much better than the A4LD in the early ones, but certainly not a Torqueshift or a CD4E.

If you want it for a street vehicle I'd look for a 95 to 2001. They ride nice, are decently optioned, but still have the solid rear axle which has proven significantly less problematic than the IRS setup of the 2002+. It is also worth noting that if you aren't stuck on getting a 4-door unit, the Explorer Sport kept the solid rear axle until it's demise in (I think) 2004.

If you want an off-roader, even just a weekend warrior, 91 to 94 is the better way to go. You can still swap in a 5.0 if you want to, but they have the superior TTB front end, as opposed to the independent setup of the 98 and later models.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
91-94. No questions asked. I'm sure everyone will agree. I'm number 2 to say it so... Sure if it's an auto, then it's an a4ld. I've never NEVER had an issue with either one of mine.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I will say, I do prefer the earlier ones instead of the IFS, but I must say that the 95 to 2001 Explorers are quite reliable when used exclusively on-road.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Buying an explorer and wondering what years are the most reliable in terms of motor, tranny etc.
If you want the most reliable motor and trans, buy a 5.0 Ex. (96-01)
The 5.0l and the 4r70w was the best combo ever put in an Ex.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
for offroading right out of the box with minimal money i'd say 90-94, but if u are gonna drop some money in it, and have decent fab skills id say 96+ with 5.0 and sas it, plus the 95+ 4.0 doesnt have the a4ld if i recall corectly

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All manual 91-94. If you can find a 91-94 with a 5-speed, BW1354M, and manual hubs, you basically have a bulletproof explorer. The biggest problem with explorers is the A4LD, they are junk and always have been junk, and normally they are beat to hell in an explorer and the fluid is never changed.

Even if you just find an explorer with just a 5-speed (most navajo's are like this) a BW1354M is easily swapped in.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I really don't understand why ppl are always hating on the a4ld.... I've beat mine a lot... And it's still fine.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You must have gotten one of the good ones, they are pretty rare....

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
I really don't understand why ppl are always hating on the a4ld.... I've beat mine a lot... And it's still fine.
because they arent heavy duty enough for offroad rigors and high mileage, and when people buy a rebuilt one they use inferior parts to save money. if i ever rebuilt mine i would use parts from transmissioncenter.org (sonnax, alto, etc.) and when u use the stock high(numerically low) gearing with tall tires(33's+) they dont last. plus people dont put a good trans cooler on it, and heat kills it. also man lockup switch will greatly reduce wear on it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals