• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 b2 wire help from the rbv gods

19cobia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my 87 2.9 auto4x4 ok that out the way. This is the problem there is a wire that was just hangin under the dash my my feet it was red with a blue stripe. it melted the tack peg out motor stalled out smoke all the good stuff. Now it wont start so cleaned everything up cut out the burned parts. If i take some wire conect it the truck will start right up what i need to know is what was the looped part of the wire and is it needed. Sorry so long winded here are some pic of it

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That is your neutral safety switch by-pass plug. On the early trucks, for the sake of ease and production cost, the dash harnesses were the same. If you had a manual trans that would plug into your clutch switch. Check all your other wires too. Sounds like you had some gremlins in there. Might need a voltage flush.

You do need the looped part, and they are pretty widely available. Any 1st gen RBV with auto trans will have one, unless it's been scavenged already.

Last edited:

19cobia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thank you sir that was all i needed when i saw your post the frist thing i though was what a dumb*** i was i knew that what it was .
i was stuck on stupid thank you for your help very much. but my b2 will have to wait i need to put brakes on my dads 88 excab 4x4 ranger. again thank you very much

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I hate that little loop. it shorted out and would cause intermittent stalling then it melted and stayed grounded eventually i found it and just put electrical tape around it. its worked fine for over a year now.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Glad I could help.

19cobia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have cleaned up the wireing and have found some factory soilder joints that hsd cloth tape on them. we should call it power tape now. cleand all that up sealed everything up. now for that damn wire this may be dumb but why do i need that loop cant i just stright wire it? thank you guys for your time :dunno:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you never ever ever plan to swap to a manual then go ahead and just hard wire it.

The loop is there just because Ford wanted to use one harness to save money, and they needed a provision for plugging it into the clutch switch.

If you do it and at some point decide you want a manual trans, don't worry about it. Just be careful not to try and fire it up in gear or without putting the clutch in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals