• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reg cab frame versus Super Cab

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I know this probably belongs in a different section of the forum but all my "boys" are over here.

Question:

Is the rear frame section for the 1999-2000 the same dimensions for super cab versus reg cab? I think all of the different dimensions are forward of the rivited joint but I need to be sure before I purchase a new section for the V8 Sport.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't have personal knowledge but I do have the Ford Truck Body Builders Advisory Service site bookmarked. If you click the following link and then click the "publications" button, a drop down menu will open that has "vehicle specifications". Click that and start exploring the sub menus.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/index.htm

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now that is an ominous question!

I'd expect all the aft sections would be identical across many years but have no true knowledge.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
From 98 to end of production the rear section of the frame is the same between regular and super cab. The differences are all about bed length.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Thank you everyone for the replies. I was able to locate a 1998 Regular Cab, 2wd, coil spring, with a step side bed. There seemed to be more Super Cabs to choose from but at the last minute a Regular Cab fell in my lap.

Yep Win, you are right, pretty ominous!!!

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I can personally verify that yes the riveted rear half interchanges between all Supercab or Regular Cab rangers from 98-11 that have 6ft beds both splash/step or fleetside.

(a regular cab longbed 7' box ranger has a different rear section obviously tho, it has the extra 6" in front of and 6" behind the rear wheel.)

I have replaced 4 rear riveted frames using combinations of both regular and supercab halves.

My current supercab build has a replacement rear half that I took off of a regularcab.

The very last years of the ranger have an 8-bolt bed, where it was previously 6. I cannot verify however if the two additional bolt have locations on all frames, but it would be easy enough to drill the 2 needed holes.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I can personally verify that yes the riveted rear half interchanges between all Supercab or Regular Cab rangers from 98-11 that have 6ft beds both splash/step or fleetside.

(a regular cab longbed 7' box ranger has a different rear section obviously tho, it has the extra 6" in front of and 6" behind the rear wheel.)

I have replaced 4 rear riveted frames using combinations of both regular and supercab halves.

My current supercab build has a replacement rear half that I took off of a regularcab.

The very last years of the ranger have an 8-bolt bed, where it was previously 6. I cannot verify however if the two additional bolt have locations on all frames, but it would be easy enough to drill the 2 needed holes.
How would you recommend cutting the rivets and separating the two halves? How would you recommend securing the new back half? What type of fastener?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just removed rivets for the rear shock mounts the other week. Tried a 4.5" grinder with a flap sanding wheel. Took the rivet heads off in a couple of minutes each. Sand/grind flush and knock rest through with punch and hammer. Use a little heat as necessary.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just removed rivets for the shock mounts the other week. Tried a 4.5" grinder with a flap sanding wheel. Took the rivet heads off in a couple of minutes each.
Torch is faster.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How would you recommend cutting the rivets and separating the two halves? How would you recommend securing the new back half? What type of fastener?
I've done alot of ranger rivets, not just the frame swaps, also done plenty of hanger and shock removal as well as spare tire holders.

I've used both a torch and an 4.5" angle grinder.

Grinding (or cutting rather) is actually way faster and much cleaner than torching.

Use the 1/8" cutting wheels, and cut an asterik * pattern into it on the tops, then cut in from the sides to knock off the little triangles. You may need to use a 1/4" thick disc to smooth it down flush, the rivet will pop right out with minimal force using a punch and hammer, provided you ground it flush/more than flush. (Don't use harbor freight wheels, they just disintegrate at a faster rate than they cut, use dewalt xp wheels or other quality disc brand.)

You will see the perfect circle of the rivet body crack through once the button head is 100% gone. If you don't see the circle outline completely keep grinding. It looks like when sheetrock or bondo crack, it's still there and complete, but you can see the outline.

I can take all 16 rivets (8 small, 8 large) and pull the rear frame off with a grinder in under 15 minutes. It's not the big hassle people make it out to be if you are familiar with using a grinder properly.

Do not just take a 1/4" grinding disc flat to the whole head down from the start that will take forever. Cut as much material out first as it only takes seconds.

I use grade 8 cadmium plated bolts with nylock nuts and hardened washers to reassemble. One of the trucks I've done a frame swap to is still on the road with 300k miles and done back in 2001 and been used for towing and hauling firewood. No problems.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I've done alot of ranger rivets, not just the frame swaps, also done plenty of hanger and shock removal as well as spare tire holders.

I've used both a torch and an 4.5" angle grinder.

Grinding (or cutting rather) is actually way faster and much cleaner than torching.

Use the 1/8" cutting wheels, and cut an asterik * pattern into it on the tops, then cut in from the sides to knock off the little triangles. You may need to use a 1/4" thick disc to smooth it down flush, the rivet will pop right out with minimal force using a punch and hammer, provided you ground it flush/more than flush. (Don't use harbor freight wheels, they just disintegrate at a faster rate than they cut, use dewalt xp wheels or other quality disc brand.)

You will see the perfect circle of the rivet body crack through once the button head is 100% gone. If you don't see the circle outline completely keep grinding. It looks like when sheetrock or bondo crack, it's still there and complete, but you can see the outline.

I can take all 16 rivets (8 small, 8 large) and pull the rear frame off with a grinder in under 15 minutes. It's not the big hassle people make it out to be if you are familiar with using a grinder properly.

Do not just take a 1/4" grinding disc flat to the whole head down from the start that will take forever. Cut as much material out first as it only takes seconds.

I use grade 8 cadmium plated bolts with nylock nuts and hardened washers to reassemble. One of the trucks I've done a frame swap to is still on the road with 300k miles and done back in 2001 and been used for towing and hauling firewood. No problems.
Thank you so much for taking a few minutes to outline everything in such detail. I will print this out and use it as a set of instructions.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll add to 2Krngr great post. After popping the rivets and the new piece is in place, use a 1/2" step drill bit to make the holes slightly bigger and in line.

IMO, I used to use grade 8 bolts but I think grade 5 is strong enough. All hitch receivers I've seen use grade 5 and there is just as much force acting on that when towing as you'll find on the frame.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Torch is faster.
Don't own a cutting torch and have little need for one. Dad's got one and it works great for rough cutting metal. I've watched him use it for jobs similar to what's being discussed here and I'm pretty sure that the flap sanding wheel (or even a cutting wheel) actually worked faster with less damage to surrounding metal.

I have tried removing frame rivets 2Krngr's way, after cutting the cross/star in the head I've tried both the cutting wheel and an air hammer. My hammer or compressor wasn't large enough to do the job and the cutting wheel wasn't much faster than just grinding the head off with a regular grinding disk.

I used the 60 git version of the flap disk linked below and it made very quick work of the rivets I removed the other week. For me it was much quicker than when I tried the cutting method above. Most likely the 40 grit would work even faster, but my local store didn't have any in stock.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-4-1-2-in-40-Grit-Steel-Demon-Grinding-and-Polishing-Flap-Disc-with-Type-29-Conical-Design-DCX045040N01F/202830903

Either way you go, good luck with the project. I'd say post pics of your progress, but with the crap photobucket's pulled recently...

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
alwaysFlOoRed:

Can you make 2Krgnr's post a note in the tech section?

I have the i-Car Ford Ranger Frame repair guide for my '98. It recommends replacing the small rivets with 7/16"-14x1.25" Grade 8 bolts torqued to 33-50 ft-lbs., and the large one with 1/2"/13x1.5" Grade 5 bolts torqued to 53-75 ft-lbs. As the rivets were 3/8" and 7/16" respectively originally, it will require a little "honing to fit".

Make sure front section is on jack stands; watch for the front spring mount to "unload" if you haven't removed the springs. (I found it convenient to have the rear section still on wheels when I removed it).

Jbrown1238:

You may want to make use of this to confirm everything is 'square'

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/workshop/GSI/~WB3L/US/EN/USA/EN-US/800/Default.aspx

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals