• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise Control

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Set your switches as follows

On-On-On-Off-Off-Off-On

billisaacson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Bumped as a great thread.

I've been planning to put an aftermarket unit in my new (to me, 133.000 mi) '96 Ranger. Is there an economy servo based unit (O.K. I'm cheap)? The web consensus seems to be that the Audiovox unit works if you can get it installed; this thread helps that. The only question I have is whether or not I need a vacuum accumulator?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, just got my Audiovox CCS-100 installed on my 1983 Ranger, 2.8, 5 speed. had trouble with is as it wouldn't hold the set speed... kept slowing down to about 45-50 mph when you set it for anything above 50 mph. after much frustration retracing all the leads and the settings called their tech support. they said to set the switches as follows:

off-off-on-off-off-off-on (these setting are NOT what the instructions said!)

all i know is it is working now. :yahoo:

guess there is a big difference between the 1st gen rangers and the newer ones.

runn6610

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the scoop! I feel much better knowing a little information about this subject. Sounds like it might be worth a couple hundred bucks to have it installed professionally. I would hate to cut into the factory harness in the wrong place and screw something up. I found a recommended installer 20 minutes from me...how lucky is that?!
Great advice!
Happy motoring!!

modorney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Liter 4
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, even though I live in Giants country (near SF), I celebrated the Rangers first all time world series win by buying a new Ranger. :) 2010, Super Cab Automatic 4 cyl 2.3

I'd like to have cruise control and I understand that this is a drive by wire?

What are my options? Can I use a generic aftermarket one that mechanically pulls the gas pedal, linkage, etc.?

Or is there one that makes use of the drive by wire and sends an electrical signal?

Thanks, by the way, for a great forum!

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual

modorney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Liter 4
Transmission
Automatic
> You need to contact the people at The Cruise Control Store.

I did. And I got hooked up with Anthony Pappas at Pro-Tech Mobile Electronics.

Pro-Tech Mobile Electronics
Box 690714
Stockton, CA 95269
209-957-4016

First of all, Anthony is the greatest!

Second, don't let the Stockton address scare you. He works out of a super-equipped van, and he'll go anywhere. He has a regular weekly gig in Fremont and can fit you in along that route.

Anthony installed a cruise control on my 2010 Ranger and it works great. I have a mechanical system (not drive by wire) and checked it out today. Two or three times a month, I work overtime in Richmond, and I take a shortcut road to get there. This two (and a little four) lane road has speed limits like 40-45-35-30-45-50-45-40-25. Nine speed changes in ten miles. And lots of speed traps. Cruise control makes this a breeze - it works swimmingly! No hunting, and follows the hills nicely.

I do notice a bit of hunting at 65 or so, but I can live with that - I think the gain may be too sensitive? But the 25 to 50 control is great and, if I have to have one or the other, I'll take what I've got.

A great job!

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I been wanting to add cruise control.
I want it to look factory, so can the aftermarket be tied into the factory buttons?
Or should I just spend time pulling parts and just swap it in?
Not sure how hard a swap will be since its a 87 with a 4.0L

slipshift

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the process of adding an Audiovox vacuum cruise control to my ranger. I looked at the electronic cruise but am more familiar with the vacuum one. On my '94 Tempo I ran one one for about 60,000 miles with zero problems. With a 4 cyl. you really do need a vacuum tank and the ideal sized one can be made with an empty propane cylinder with a vacuum hose barb epoxied in place. You also need a vacuum stop valve between the vacuum source and tank.

rdm21740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 Mazda b4000 Troy lee edition. I have factory cruise but it hasn't worked since I got the truck in 2012 with 234k miles. Is there a kit that uses the factory controls or can I adapt an aftermarket kit to use the factory controls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

illesg

GregThree
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
go anywhere AND get back
Connector information and LED brake light fix

I don't know if this kind of info was previously posted, but it was so useful I thought I'd throw it in.

LED brake lights - - these will KILL the cruise control. Reason is, the LED's do not provide the low-resistance path to ground needed by the circuit behind the brake-light input. I found this out by measuring pin-6 on my servo connector, and it was 6V instead of zero. (should be 0V with brake pedal released, 12V with brake pedal depressed)

I solved the problem with a 25-watt 20-ohm resistor, wired from the brake light bulb hot wire to ground.

Servo Connector - - this is the 10-pin (8 wires used) connector on the servo body. This connector has all the information needed to identify a cruise control problem, and all you need is a multi-meter and a wire-piercing probe. I was able to check out the function of the steering wheel switches, brake pedal, and VSS in just a few minutes.

Wiring Diagram - - the Ford wiring diagram book was indispensable. A critical item for troubleshooting, it has excellent wiring information PLUS all the location information for where each and every connector and module can be found. I bought mine for $20 on line. Highly recommended. These are out of print, and you might have to do some searching, but it's worth the trouble.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals