• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 ranger edge v8 swap

03edgev8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was curious I have an 03 ranger edge 4x4 with the 4.0 the motor is bad so I want to do the 5.0 swap I know 2 people that have 5.0's one is in a 1990 f150 4x4 and the other is a 96 explorer 4x4 which would be easier for the swap and keeping the 4x4 could I get the explorer just switch the cab and bed to the explorer frame or would it be easier to swap the motor tranny and the t case out of one of them

applesauce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
probably easier to swap the drivetrain, not positive but im pretty the explorer frames are a bit different so the body mounts will be in different spots. don't quote me but I think the explorer might be slightly wider

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
explorer engine and trans in the ranger chassis all the way.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Explorer frame is a LOT different. Ranger cab and bed def not a "bolt on" job. Under the Ranger, the rear springs are beside the frame, the axle is under the spring, under the Expo, the rear springs are under the frame, the axle is over the springs yet the spring spacing is the same meaning the Expo frame is a bunch wider. Won't say you could not make a Ranger cab and bed fit an Expo frame, but it'd not be easy.

Hands down, the Expo drivetrain is the way to go. The F150 intake won't fit under the Ranger's hood and the F150's FEAD is quite a bit longer than the Expo and really, really complicates radiator clearance.

So too, the Expo 5.0 radiator is a bolt in to the Ranger as are things like the throttle and cruise cables, A/C lines etc. Really makes for an easy swap. Really only have a few electrical differences to resolve.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals