• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351w Swap Into 98 Ranger

evergr3y

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello to you all. My name is Mike. Im new here and I will really appreciate if someone can give me some tips and advice on my current swap.

I have a Ford Ranger 1998 2wd 5-speed manual with the 2.5L.
The engine is now out of the truck.

I have buyed a 351W 4 barrels to swap into it.
I have buyed a T-5 world class manual transmission to use with it.

I need to know many things about this swap, if anybody has already done this before ...

Im wondering wich Flywheel to use on my 351w. I hear 157 theets, 28 oz ?? Im really not sure about what I should put, so thats why I am asking to you guys.

Also for the clutch, what size ? I heard 10inch or 10.5 but again, im not sure about anything ...!!:dunno:

Anyway, here is a shot of my Ranger just for fun. !!

Tanks again for the help guys !!!

Last edited:

evergr3y

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No one :/ ? I know that swaps like this has already been done before, I have found some informations too but things are not clear enough for me to buy all the parts right now. Tanks again...

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the process of doing mine now, just finishing up the motor. The plan for mine is a np435 trans with a np205 case.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
157 tooth is going to be the smaller of the ford flywheels. If you have the smaller bellhousing use the 157 tooth. 28 oz is for 351ws

evergr3y

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Tanks Grunizzle. In fact, Im using a T-5 from a V6 Mustang, and my bellhousing is from a 3.8 Mustang ( as well, to fit with the transmission shaft length ).

I will order a 157 tooth 28 oz then as you said tanks.

Ford78: Great to hear this :icon_thumby: ! Are you going to do some drag times with your build ? My goal is to make a drift-truck so ... hehe !!

evergr3y

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Another BIG question in my mind now is, wich differential will work with this swap under my Ranger..

And, what kind of driving shaft I will need too .. to fit with my new differential.

I am clueless at this point ... really! :dunno:

Anyone ?

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Another BIG question in my mind now is, wich differential will work with this swap under my Ranger..

And, what kind of driving shaft I will need too .. to fit with my new differential.

I am clueless at this point ... really! :dunno:

Anyone ?
I would put a ford 9in under under it or a 8.8 at the very least.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First question is why a 351? Don't know of anyone who has done it in a later model. Headers are a problem even with the earlier 302 swaps. Over the frame would be the best but totally custom. No way I'd use a V-6 trans in your application, torque rating 100 lbs-ft below what a stock 351 puts out. A 9" rear might be best but only if it's a big bearing 31 spline.
Dave

evergr3y

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Dave. It is a 351W with carburetor 4 barell.

I dont know exactly why, but I dont like usual swap. I know that a 302 would have been probably less pain in the ass as a swap, but I choosed a 351w so ..

Humm, I was probably wrong in my first post, but my T-5 is a World class, so this is a V8 mustang transmission from 84-95. Sorry for the bad informations.

And for the differential, I am trying to find a complete rear end with disc brake and a 8.8 from a 5.0l explorer or something similar. Wish me good luck .. I really dont know where I am going to find this lol.

Im guessing that buying a 8.8 or 9'' differential and trying to fit it on my stock rear end wont fit .. soooo !

evergr3y

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. Just a little update here.

I have puschased the Ford Racing Flywheel 28 oz 157 Tooth AND a RAM Premium Clutch Set.

Now guys I need to know somethin ... Wich motor mount do I need to put the 351W in my ranger engine bay ?

And do I need to change my Master Cylinder if I am swaping the rear end for a ford explorer with the 8.8 and the disc brakes ??

Just wondering if I have to do the brake lines again ... !!

Tanks:icon_confused:

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can use hte flywheel setup for a V-8 Mustang. You can use the mounts from a Mustang convertible and flip them to opposite sides, or you could use Exploder mounts that were used on the V-8 models. They bolt right in. The 8.8 you have will be fine if you're not looking to race it. Your model should have 10" drums which would be fine also. If you swap an exploder rear end you need to get a m/c with a bore of at least 1" if not bigger. You can check the forums for the exact models. Other than that you'll have a lot of shoe horning to get that in. A 302 would be so much easier...

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
I'm using the explorer mounts for my motor. As for the brake u should be fine with the master, if been using my stock one for about 2 year and I can stop pretty good with the big tires. I say go for the 351 if I wanted easy I'll would call my ex up

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
...The 8.8 you have will be fine if you're not looking to race it. Your model should have 10" drums which would be fine also...
'98 four cylinder std cab Ranger will have 7.5" differential with 9" brakes from the factory.

evergr3y

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have spotted a 97 ford explorer 5.0L for sale and I think about buying it. I will take the rear end + the motor mount from it. Also, yeah I have the 7.5" differential, thats why I was asking if the swap of rear end would be bolt on ( the ford explorer 97 5.0 to my ford ranger ).

Tanks for your help guys. I will try to upload some pictures of the progress of the swap :)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
use the cougar 5.0 headers. you will have to do some tweaking but they are workable. there are a few styles, the more log looking style is the one you want. the 92 i think is thegood ones...that or the sn95 style stangs. the 351 cobra r worked fine in my chassis....the sla chassis is a bit wider in the key areas but there are steering differences but those depend on actual engine placement.

these are restrictive for a 351 that can breath but will get you going.

a carbed 351 will have some limitations anyway for a driver depending on climate.

i a broken enough 302 blocks, i will never ask why a 35.

run a 31 spline explorer axle.....9 in is a waste of time unless you own one. too much money.

the trans you have will die......

supercoupe performance has a nice header and a pic of the log style i refer too.

the log style is easy to cut a little with a cut off wheel and bend in a little and reweld....or cut off and refit as desired for even better clearance. i would use either of these due to cost effectiveness for a street driven truck sub 450 hp.

i would run the truck flywheels and clutch setups most likely and look for a stronger trans to have waiting for the death of the v6 trans.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals