• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Carb to EFI

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Have a few quetions on this that searching hasnt fully answered. Buddy of mine says he has parts off his old 87 Mustang 5.0 that he is going to give to me, computer, fuel rail, stock 19lb injectors, intake (his brother has an explorer intake setup)?? etc.... Anyways I couldnt find anything on what, if any, other wiring harnesses could plug into the computer and work with it since it is a speed density computer and not a MAF and if a MAF wiring harness could be made to work with it, NON HO wiring harness work from the same years (such as the crown vics) or ones that are SD or one from an f150. I know that the 2.9 harness can be made to work with the non HO 5.0 computer by simpliy splicing in two more injectors but that is a batch fire setup and Im not sure that an HO setup is like that or not.

My truck has everything fuel system wise on it for EFI already, had a 2.3 FI in it at one time, just have to put in a new high pressure pump.

I dont plan on doing any major upgrades either hince why Im not worried about have a SD setup. My 200hp is good enough for me. I just want better mileage and reliablity.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
IMO, MAF probably wouldn't be worth the effort, MAP, air temp and coolant temp sensor should be with the EFI system.
O2 sensors should be there if it was EFI before.

Very good site here for older EFI
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=1

In the tech section there is an EFI swap for V8 which is a good read and has links to wiring needed.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guess you haven't seen what I've done to my truck over the years. Assuming that I have the o2 sensors is a bad one. I don't even have the original exhaust, wiring or o2 sensors left on my truck.

I know the tech library has a good write up of what is needed, but that's for the non HO 5.0 installment.

I'm just seeing if anybody knows what computer harness will do the job from what is listed above of what potential donors are more commonly available in a jy. Rarely do I see a mustang and what's rarer is one that hasn't had its entire setup ripped out of it.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But the thing is, I'm getting a SD computer and trying to keep this on the cheap as humanly possible side.

If I was getting a MAF computer, then I would go maf but the ft covered his car years ago to maf from sd hence why he has the computer laying around, along with all these stock parts because he upgraded everything under the hood of the car.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what that webite on the old FI setups, I can run a non FI wiring harness. Only difference that was said was the order that the computer fires the injectors due to the HO timing. I just need to find a SD vehicle from the type and years list and be good to go.

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Correct, you won't be able to use a speed density crown vic injector harness because of the H/O cam firing order. Use mustang, T bird or mark vII speed density harness

From what that webite on the old FI setups, I can run a non FI wiring harness. Only difference that was said was the order that the computer fires the injectors due to the HO timing. I just need to find a SD vehicle from the type and years list and be good to go.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I compared the mustang, crown Vic , tbird and Mark vii pin its and the only differences I saw was the crown Vic has VSS in its computer connector. Other then that, the pin outs on the connectors are the same to the computers.

What that tells me is HO or not, the harness are the same, it's just the computers that are different and what makes them different is when the injectors open dye to firing order. You can run an HO computer on a non HO engine, it's just the idle that you will notice a difference, so long add you keep it SD setup.

My engine is HO, I put an 85 mustang cam in it.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I found this pdf a while ago on the inter net, it is a basic tech write up for converting from carb to the maf setup. Don't know if it would be of any help.

Attachments

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would have to get a maf computer if I converted over to a maf set-up. But since I will be getting an sd computer, then I will need an sd harness. But as said, you can convert an sd setup to maf.

But I will take a look at it, can't hurt to.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would have to get a maf computer if I converted over to a maf set-up. But since I will be getting an sd computer, then I will need an sd harness. But as said, you can convert an sd setup to maf.

But I will take a look at it, can't hurt to.

Its all good, it just seemed like a good reference because it has a pin out of the maf comp and wiring harness.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you'r probably right, for some reason I was thinking the (salt and pepper)wire harness to the injectors was wired different for the non H/O but I may be all wrong on that. Been too long since I messed with that stuff. I actualy have a crown vic and a mark vII harnes I should dig out and look at some time.

I compared the mustang, crown Vic , tbird and Mark vii pin its and the only differences I saw was the crown Vic has VSS in its computer connector. Other then that, the pin outs on the connectors are the same to the computers.

What that tells me is HO or not, the harness are the same, it's just the computers that are different and what makes them different is when the injectors open dye to firing order. You can run an HO computer on a non HO engine, it's just the idle that you will notice a difference, so long add you keep it SD setup.

My engine is HO, I put an 85 mustang cam in it.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Willing to sell them for cheap?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update...ya I know old. I have a setup from a 93 mustang they will be going on next spring, just a few things left to get.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm running an HO 5.0 with the A9L ECU and a 1989 Grand Marquis (speed density) wiring harness converted to MAF. Just had to add a couple wires to the harness to some empty pins on the ECU. Works great. See the following video for details:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnTgXkHU9Q

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals