• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric fan switch

dw8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Need some thoughts and options on how to do this. The vehicle is a 84 Ranger 2wd with a 302/AOD. I have an aftermarket electric fan mounted to a 91-94 Explorer radiator. I want to use the Imperial Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control 226203. The problem is that the sensor probe is huge. And the fins on my radiator are extremely close. I am afraid it will bust the radiator if I try to push it through. Are my fears correct?

Is there a better/another way to control the fan?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My path might sound crazy, but it works well.

Used an early BMW Z3 4 cyl fan switch (two speed). Cut the brass fitting out of a scrap yard BMW and soldered that to a brass "T" fitting with a pair of hose barbs.

Routed the transmission fluid from the in-radiator cooler through the "T". on it's way to the external trans cooler. Since the "cooled" trans fluid is essentially the same temp as the radiator coolant, the sensor offers pretty good control of the fans.

Added a dual function A/C pressure switch from a Windstar. With the A/C on, the fans are on "low" if the A/C pressures rise above the Windstar's 1st set point, the fans kick on "high" and ultimately, the Windstar's pressure switch could shut down the a/c at it's upper set point.

If you don't use the transmission oil cooler, it'd be pretty easy to mod the trans cooler line fittings to add a temp sensor to one, block the other off and then open the trans cooler inside the radiator to the engine coolant to get engine coolant temps to the sensor.

Also, check out "Klixon" temp switches -- available in a variety of styles and temp settings -- would be easy to clamp (or glue) onto the radiator or trans cooler line fittings for a basic "on/off" control of the fan(s).

I would suggest a very heavy duty relay to control power to the fan(s)!!! Think I spec'd out 60 or 70 amp units from Waytek Wire if memory serves.

Not super in-depth, but here's a short post on my system:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161376

Last edited:

dw8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lots of great options. Thank

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals