• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 2.5l to 5.0 help wanted

brutalblake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 ranger with the 2.5 liter 4 banger. its 2wd with the 5 speed.

i want to drop an explorer 5.0 in it.

ive found write ups on the 3.0 to 5.0 and the 4.0 to 5.0 that were really informative.

I cant find much on a 2.5 to 5.0 though.

i was wondering if anyone has a link or info on that swap. im wanting to get everything i need up front before i dove ion since its my daily driver.

thanks in advance

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I have a 99 ranger with the 2.5 liter 4 banger. its 2wd with the 5 speed.

i want to drop an explorer 5.0 in it.

ive found write ups on the 3.0 to 5.0 and the 4.0 to 5.0 that were really informative.

I cant find much on a 2.5 to 5.0 though.

i was wondering if anyone has a link or info on that swap. im wanting to get everything i need up front before i dove ion since its my daily driver.

thanks in advance
I did a 3.0L to a 5.0L in a 99 2wd Regular cab. The 3.0L and 2.5L trucks are identical as far as wiring and dashboard electronics where the 5.0L conversion is concerned. I think the 2.5L motor mounts have a different part number then the 3.0L and 4.0L trucks. I am pretty sure, going from memory, that the 3.0 mounts and the 4.0 mounts are the same part number. You can look through my build thread and it should give you almost everything you need as far as information about your application. Just pretend the 3.0L I removed was a 2.5L engine. Just ignore the thread title. I did start with a 98 but soon went to a 99.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93941

brutalblake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
thanks boss im checking it out now

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
While the 2.5, 3.0 and 4.0 all have different engine mounts from Ford, they all share the same after market set so I'd fully expect everything on-line about dropping an Expo 5.0 into a V6 will be the same for your I4. Either way, dropping the front suspension (if coil spring fronts) and installing new mounts is pretty smart anyway.

One (sort of) key difference is your 2.5 does not have the anti-theft system the V6's do so dropping in a '98 or later 5.0 will have a few complications to resolve the anti-theft system.

You could go with a '96/'97 Expo which does not have the anti theft either, but the fuel pressure/return systems are different (fairly easy to alter) and in many areas, the "new" engine/trans needs to be same year or newer than the vehicle so an older system may not work for you at your friendly state/county inspection station.....

brutalblake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Im not even half way through your build thread, but i had to stop reading to come tell you it is by far the nost informative and well documented build ive seen on any car/motorcycle/truck site. I thank you in advance for making my build easier. I know i will be running back and forth between my build and your thread. Thats enough building you up for now lol. i did read something about some blueprints you had emailed someone. is there a way i could also get a copy from you?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Im not even half way through your build thread, but i had to stop reading to come tell you it is by far the nost informative and well documented build ive seen on any car/motorcycle/truck site. I thank you in advance for making my build easier. I know i will be running back and forth between my build and your thread. Thats enough building you up for now lol. i did read something about some blueprints you had emailed someone. is there a way i could also get a copy from you?
If you PM me your e-mail address I can pass the along.

Thank you for the kind words. I had a lot of help here and I can still remember when I was in the same position as you are now. There were a few members that stepped up and helped me out with their threads and some sound advice. Pretty much everything you need will be here in this website somewhere.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals