• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Oil and filter for Truck ?

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Ok guys , i was wondering what kind of oil and filter you run in your truck , and what is the best in your opinion for the 3.0 , especially ones with 100k or more on them

09ajmaros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
I would stick with WIXX filters and with oil, to me it really doesn't matter but some guys like to stick with better known brands. The oil I get is the cheap generic brand from my local fleet farm(5W-30 because of living in Wisconsin), never caused me any problems. just make sure it has the certified label for gasoline engines.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I've always used Motorcraft (Ford) for the filters, and Castrol GTX for the oil. I'm not anal about maintenance, either, but I've racked up a bunch of miles on several RBVs (375,000 on one) without any problems with the engine oil.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
yea , i usually like to run Napa Gold Filters , which are made by Wix , but oil , i currently run castoral , but my dad lives by quaker state , and my stepdad buys whatever is on sale at autozone , i really like shell , and they just came out with the synthetic Rotella T 5w-40 , but i am afraid of what it may do to my engine , since the engine has 100k on it and the shell oil is full synthetic

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
fram and pennzoil for all my toys..:icon_thumby:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
i have a fram filter on there now , and it is screwing with my oil pressure , i was told by someone on here that the 3.0 does not like the fram filters

Rat City Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been using Napa filters for a while now, and I like them, as for oil......well seeing as how I work in the service dept. of the local dealer, I've just been doing my oil changes here, they use a Quaker State synthetic blend 5/30. The best part.....it's free! ha

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
yea , my dad lives by quaker state , he bought a new nissan truck back in the early 90's , it came with penzoil from the factory , he drove it the 30 miles home , drained the oil , put a napa filter on and filled it with quaker state , and the thing is , the guy that bought it from him still has it , and the truck has over 400k on it and still runs like a top

i was tinking of using the quaker state high mileage that has the slick 50 in it

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
everybody is going to cuss me i already can tell, but dad always put ph3600 frams on mine from walmart, and i pretty much kept it up, when i rebuild the engine im going w/ wix. oil wise he ran 530 pennzoil, i switched to 530 castrol gtx, regular stuff has served me well, and the engine revved out better and idled smoother when i switched to the castrol. ive used 1030 and 1040 as well when the 530 wasnt available at autozoo, the 1030 down here in louisiana didnt make a dif, up north the one time in pa it was harder to start. the 1040 i used in florida the one time and i actually seemed to lose power and my engine temperature went up, so i changed it out as soon as 530 was available. i always run 530 now and will continue w/ the castrol and change to wix filters. when i rebuild my motor im going to run 2 break in oil changes of mineral oil, then go one tim syntec blend, then synthetic if the seals are good.

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Motorcraft filters are good enough for ford, so thats what I use. I never use fram oil filters on anything. I use multiple brands of full synthetic oil in all my vehicles, no matter what the miles. I was told rotella has lead in it that helps lubricate the valve seals on older engines.

Rat City Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used to run Fram's all the time, the only real reason that I switched was the fact that we get a better break on Napa stuff than anywhere else, and the Napa's seem about the same, I think it pretty much just comes down to what yor comfortable using.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i dont know about now but quaker state was designed yrs ago to gunk up to preserve aluminum blocks, and in turn was great for stopping up oil pumps. the synthetics may not do this but the mineral oils did, and when you changed the oil you had it coming out in glops like oatmeal and milk, i dont like that in my engine. i seen it do it one time when somebody had their oil changed, and my half brother worked at an oil shop in town and every car that had the quaker state oil change that had it in there b4 did this when he drained the oil out. sorry but quaker state isnt high on my list of oil choices, they may have changed the formula and it doesnt do it anymore. i remember seeing it when i was kid (about 8 or 9), just stayed away from it ever since.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Motorcraft filters are good enough for ford, so thats what I use. I never use fram oil filters on anything. I use multiple brands of full synthetic oil in all my vehicles, no matter what the miles. I was told rotella has lead in it that helps lubricate the valve seals on older engines.
well rotella used to be a diesel only style oil , it used to be the only rotells T that you could buy was 15W-40 for diesel trucks , they just came out with this 5W-40 about 7 or 8 months ago , i know we run Rotella T 15W40 in our coal trucks and it works great , and those trucks run 24/7

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use Motorcraft filters and valvoline synthetic oil. My old Honda tended to burn a little oil before I started using the valvoline. After the switch it reduced it by almost half.

Before I got my truck, the PO religiously got his oil changed at Walmart every 5k. Fram and Penzoil. Engine was all gunked up. Since I got it cleaned out, I change at 7500, and the oil stays clean-looking until close to 5k. I cut my filters, and they're all clean except a little bit of carbon.

I've seen too many fram-related failures to use one on my truck.

Everyone has something they swear by, but that's my experience.

Rat City Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I guess when in doubt, go with Motorcraft, I mean it was designed for our applications, so you know your never gonna have a problem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals