• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help what am I doing wrong?

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
This seems like the dumbest question and I don't know what I'm missing. The flex plate connection is just floating. The flex plate doesn't sit against the crankshaft. I don't have a way to tighten it down. Is this normal? I thought everything was tight when I pulled it?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Umm,
Loose in the truck or do you have the engine pulled out? If it seems loose in the truck the only recourse is to pull the engine or the tranny to gain access to it.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm guessing you are either replacing it or working on putting the tranny back in. That being said there is suppose to be an alluminum spacer between the crank and the flexplate. It centers the torque converter and positions the flexplate at the correct depth in the bellhousing.
If you haven't put it in there the bolts will most likely bottom out before they tighten down on the flexplate.

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I figured it out. I removed the engine about two months ago. Forgot it had a spacer and didn't put the spacer with the flex plate(kicking self) and I don't see the spacer listed in any of my diagrams in my books. I wound up ordering one on line last night because mine has a bunch of chips on it in the little ring area that goes into the flexplate. The spacer isn't even listed in any of the local parts stores.

Swiftkid

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
when i replaced my flex plate i didn't put a spacer in between the new flex plate and crankshaft...i noticed the original did have like a 1/8" spacer but i couldn't find it online and called parts store and they new nothing so i skipped it and its been running fine since.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals