• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

#2 cylinder misfire...

squish059

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I drive a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 v6, manual with 236k miles.

replaced the head gasket, timing chain, and cracked timing chain cover and spark plugs 2 months ago(about 5k miles ago) Aside from my slave cylinder and clutch beginning to go bad I haven't had any problems since, until my most recent oil change 3 weeks ago. The engine started to have a little hiccup while accelerating occassionally. Acting almost similar as if I were in too high of a gear and needed to downshift, although I know I did not need to. The "hiccup" has become more frequent and the check engine light lit up when I started it. I changed the fuel filter that day(because it needed done) and took it to my mechanic. he informed me the #2 cylinder misfired but did nothing else. now the engine is running much worse. Now the 'hiccup" is more frequent and I can feel the misfire happening frequently and the CEL is back on. I can smell unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Also have lost power and it is very noticeable going up steeper hills and at higher speeds. Also in the past I have noticed the engine revving at stops as if the throttle is sticking, but winds down after 5 secs or so. I don't want to spend a lot on a vehicle with this many miles on it and im not a very good DIY especially with no garage in the PA winter... but would very much appreciate suggestions for what to check and fix from here.

Also I used HEET dry gas at my last fill up, I use regular gas with the detergents and cleaners in it and I ran Seafoam through the truck 2 months ago. I also add LucasOil stabilizer every few weeks when I add oil(which has a slight leak).

squish059

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
based on what info I have found online I have made a bit of a list of guesses but the list is too big(expensive), please help me narrow it down.

fuel pump
fuel injector(s)
fuel pressure regulator
intake manifold control valve
mass airflow sensor
idle air control valve
02 sensor
intake PCV leaks
coil pack
spark plugs
plug wires
exhaust valve....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals