• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fast idle

buzz_mn_58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 2000 ranger with 3.0 is reving at fast idle, 2000 - 2300 RPMs. Its been doing it for 3 days now. Makes it a little hard to slow down, like always on cruise control.

What is the fix to this problem ?

Read the codes, only a EGR problem there.

Please help, this is the wifes truck and she dont like it. And she tells me to fix it !

Thanks, Buzz

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is usually the IAC or there is a vac leak causing more air in the system..
Big JIm

bgass1421

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know it may sound silly and too simple, but check the coolant level. Not the level in the reservoir, but open the radiator cap (when vehicle is cool) and check to see if coolant is in there. This is most often the cause of the high idle, its happened to me! PLUS its the cheapest thing to check!

buzz_mn_58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
coolant level in rad was full:icon_thumby:

I checked my IAC like Haynes repair manual said..........

1. With the engine running, disconnect the IAC . Engine rpm should drop,indicating that the IAC solenoid is functioning. My rpm still stayed at about 2000 rpm.

2. With the engine off disconnect the IAC connetor. Measure the resistance across the pins of the solenoid. It should read between 6.0 to 10.0 ohms. Mine measured 9.6 ohms.

3. With the key on measure the voltage from the VPWR pin on the harness connector and ground. You should read at least 10.5 volts. My reading was 12.3 volts.

What do you guys think is the IAC good or bad ?

I think it pass all but #1.

As for a vaccum leak test. How would you do that?
What I did was try to look for loose or bad hose connections. Then I sprayed a little brake parts cleaner around vac hoses, around throttle body, and by intake manifold. Thinking rpm would change a little if it sucked sum in a vac leak. Nothing happened to the rpms.

Any more thoughts on what to do next ?

Change the IAC ?

Thanks, Buzz

bgass1421

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I guess I would change the IAC, You can get one at advance under $50 but the problem is, its a $50 guess and you can't get your money back. Have you checked the PCV?

basketranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
a buddies of mine was doing same thing. pull iac off spray liberally b-12 or brake clean till inside is "nice and pretty" check gasket for any potential leaks then reinstall dry (no sealer). you may have a problem starting (flooded) and right after start up hi rpm's shich should settle out. if this is the cure problem was carbon build up on internal moving parts.

buzz_mn_58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Follow Up

Replaced my IAC today, and all is well.

A big Thank You to bgass1421, for suggesting Advance Auto Parts. There was two posible IAC that fit my ranger. The Parts counter guy "Kyle" in Duluth MN, went to get effert to make sure I got the right one. He called Ford Motors with my VIN to get the correct one.

And thanks to Big Jim M, who started me looking at the IAC.

Basketranger, Thanks for suggesting cleaning with brake cleaner. Tried that, but didnt work.

Thanks to TRS for being here for us.:icon_cheers:

bgass1421

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
no problem. I have had to replace that valve, but I did get a code for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals