• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

advice/help

lingo104

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I have been lurking for a while but decided to finally register and make a post.

I have a manual 95 ranger 4cyl which is great for what it is, but would like a little more go outa it.

I have been playing with the idea of doing a v8 swap, I unfortunately dont have the space/time to do it on my own (land lord complains when i do oil changes, id rather not push pulling a motor out lol.) I reached out to a local shop and got quoted 10k... Now I know this wouldn't be something cheap to do, but I definitely didnt expect it to be that much.

Still like the idea of the v8 swap but maybe im biting off more then i can chew with that when it comes to cost. So I am also thinking about a possible svo swap or something a long those line.

Just trying to get an idea of the cost to have a shop do both swaps, and some pros or cons.

Also if anyone know someone or a shop local to me (long island, NY) that wont rape me when it comes to the price. That would be amazing.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, price for a shop to do it probably isn't that far out of line if you don't have donor (e.g. V-8 Explorer or turbo Mustang/T-bird/etc) and they are taking on the liability for having it run past their warranted period.

Questions: Can you do the job yourself? Can you be without the truck for extended period, e.g. couple weeks? Do you have a buddy with a truck that can tow your truck home (and back) if you can't complete job during available time?

toledo_tommy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have as of right now about 3500.00 into my project and its about 95% done . I got lucky and found a person that already had the motor in the bed of the truck ( he didn't have time or place to finish the project ) . I purchased the truck and motor with no trans for 850.00 he was asking 1300.00 though. I could have gotten away with alittle cheaper but I had my C4 transmission rebuilt and purchased many new parts instead of used parts. I still need to get the exhaust done and was quoted a price of $400-450 through a local speed shop fyi . Time wise I have been doing this mainly alone with little help from a buddy , I started the project about 3 months ago but I work a lot of 60 hour weeks and this is my first time ever doing something like this.... I guess the bottom line is it could cost what ever you wanna put into it and well time , How much time do you have to dedicate to the project ? My buddy's dad did a ranger 5.0 project in about 3 weeks he says . Well he also has a lot of time , money , he builds race cars on the regular ,and a machine shop in his back yard. Hope this helps you a little and Good luck.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals