• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CA law for bed extender?

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dunno if this is supposed to go in this Forum, but....

I'm supposed to pick up a bike in Irvine, CA on Saturday (Honda Shadow ACE) and dunno if the thing will fit in my bed with the tailgate up. Thing is, I don't know what the CA law is regarding carrying a secured (ratcheting hook straps in 4 points) bike on your truck bed, tailgate down and no bed extender....

Anyone??

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think there are any such laws to worry about.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Considering we transport tons (literally, LOL) of machinery and goods on an open deck and they are held down with just straps or chains the DOT cannot do anything. As long as the AWLL of the straps is more than the weight of the bike you'll be fine. Use 2" straps though, those little 1" things make me nervous. Tie everything up nice and neat and don't give any cop a reason to look twice or pull you over.

You'll be fine.

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
guaranteed there will be some many bros driving around with there bikes in the back you wont have to worry

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
I saw only one incident where someone was warned about a tailgate down. Something to do with "extending beyond the normal body lines". Nothing that a Home Depot red flag couldn't cure. I carry my 10 foot rowboat in a short bed, gate down, ratcheted in. Two plastic flags on the transom and I'm Ok with PENNDOT. They said so.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's 4' beyond for the red flag though, I believe. I don't think the motorcycle will stick out that far.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
just put a red flag between your cheeks and wave it at a cop if he pulls you over.

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's 4' beyond for the red flag though, I believe. I don't think the motorcycle will stick out that far.
I hauled the bike this weekend, and yeah I saw a lot of ppl with 2 or even 3 dirt bikes on the truck bed (big-ass F250s and a fugly Titan :icon_twisted:) but they had a big bed and in my case the bike stuck out by merely a foot or 2 between the muffler and the rear fender but it didn't stick out of the tailgate. As Roadkill suggested I used four 2" ratcheting straps and squeezed the bike's suspension all the way down so it became one with the truck :D. BTW, nice bike I hauled... '03 Honda Shadow with 4000 miles on it, the guy got it for 3 grand with all the gear in the package.... lucky bastrd ...

Noticed two things... one guy was kind enough to let me know he almost rear-ends me because my brake lights were gone :shok:... took the closest exit and waddayaknow, an Oreilly's showed up right in front of me. It turned our to be a shorted wire so a wire crimper and a couple of contortionist's moves later I was back on the road. Then when driving up the mountain at I-8 I noticed a very disturbing lack of power where I had to go all the the way down to 3rd gear @ 3000 RPMs.... Maybe the engine is running out of juice after 170 000 miles? No pinging at all, though....

Anyways, this just left me thinking if it is time to start my tear-down, re-build project I've been postponing for the past couple of years.... :icon_welder:

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
It's 4' beyond for the red flag though, I believe.
It maybe in some states, but I have always followed the 2 foot rule. Anything that protrudes more then 2 feet past the rear bumper should be light or flagged. That's the reason the receiver racks do not require lights they are not "designed" to stick out over 2 feet past the bumper. And if you notice it is the same with bike racks and ski racks. None stick more than 2 feet out when installed in the proper size hitch receiver.
I however am rather particular. I always flag anything hanging out of my truck and whenever the tailgate is down. For the reason that if some dim-wit is on a phone:annoyed: maybe the flag will catch his attention, and if nothing else the person looks like a true idiot to the cop doing the accident report........:icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I wouldn't have worried about it anyway, if you have mexico plates the CHiPs can throw all the tickets they want at you, good luck making any of them stick.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i can remember when the police were more concerned with HOW your were driving than WHAT you were driving. and iirc, seems like crime rates were much lower then too. yeah, those were the good ole' days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals