• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need advice from those who know - First Ranger

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
4X4 is nice in general. Yes I agree most of the time a 4x2 is just as good. For for the simple fact if I get stuck in 2wd or I HAVE to get some where now 4X4 is nice. Lets run through a scenario.

Go to take off in 4x2. Rear end is spinning. Try riding he hell out of the clutch to take off. Maybe it works maybe it doesn't

Throw her in 4x4. I just go. Hell I can jump the clutch at 2k and she will go.

The simple fact of not having to deal with it. I know in my area in Lewiston Maine the last few winters they don't really plow until the storm is over.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
$ wd just lets you get reeealy stuck. Keep the revs down and the gear high to reduce wheel spin. Hopeless with an automatic trans. You can do it with a manual shift and a good clutch. When I was a kid, I ran an old bug around with bald tires on a flooded field that froze. If you use a light touch, you can move and slowly pick up speed. Moves are gentle and smooth. Ballast is good, but upsets steering and braking. OTOH, steering and stopping should be avoided if possible. A safe speed is less than 20 mph, unless the tires are studded. Chains are about the same. Over 20 , the ride is jarring, and beating up the truck. Carry a good D handled flat shovel, steel and wood,not plastic and aluminum. Stay home until the roads are clear. Dig out the driveway and shovel the walks. Old Fart Buzzkill. :D

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Its better to have it...and not need it, than need it...and not have it!

I can drive both (2 or 4wd) in the snow. Out in the country the snow drifts real high and 4x4 is great to have. I lock the hubs in and if I need 4x4 i pull the lever in 4hi and off I go. Put it back in 2wd when not needed. It helps you go in nasty road conditions, but DOES NOT help you stop any quicker.

I can tell you this for a fact, that there has been more than a few times 4x4 saved me from getting hammered in a crash due to idiot drivers in snowy icy weather.

You have a car sliding towards you through a red light on slick roads, your in 4Hi and hit the gas hard you can get the hell out of the way...2wd you spin and get a car coming through your drivers door.

same thing with a ditch. Had a car loose it and was sliding towards me head on, I stomped the gas and turned into the ditch. 4x4 pulled hard and was in and out of the ditch quickly. If I was in 2wd at the time I know he would have hit me before I could got away.

just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It seems most of the vehicles I see in the ditch or off the highway in an accident are 4x4's or AWD. 4x4 doesn't help you stop or steer and seems to make some people believe they are invincible. Don't make that mistake.

Richard

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
It seems most of the vehicles I see in the ditch or off the highway in an accident are 4x4's or AWD. 4x4 doesn't help you stop or steer and seems to make some people believe they are invincible. Don't make that mistake.

Richard

You are correct in that they think they are invincible in a 4x4.
And every 4x4 or AWD I see in the ditch, the first thing to look at are the tires. The ones that end up in the ditch here are people running 22" or 24" rims with speed rated highway summer tires that even suck in the rain.
Or the factory fresh soccer moms suv on crappy tires, and the main reason they was in the ditch was due texting while driving.

" Oh my...it is nasty outside" send...
"the roads are crazy slick...lol" send...
"Like OMG..im in the ditch..:bawling:...pressing the onstar button now"...send

" I just updated my FB with a pic of me in the ditch..and a tweet..and a instagram...and.......

:annoyed:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would rather spin a wheel than kick the rear out.
I put a L/S in the rear of mine and I NEED the 4x4 now more than before to keep the darn thing pointed in the direction I want to go.
Believe me that the one wheel spin occurs on hills w/ snow & still have to keep front end in on my side of road. I will post my experience after the L/S install-

NickMxW

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What would you guys recommend as a good set of winter tires?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
personally i like my dakota futura tires for winter, its a pep-boys house brand, i think they are made by cooper tire and they have a similar tread pattern to the bfg a/t ta, but not as expensive. im on my 3rd set, ist set was on a 2wd chevy 3/4 ton with a limited slip, they grip and go, wear really well and dont make alot of racket. in the dirt they dont do bad either, i run a different tire in the non-winter months just so my winter set will last longer.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
2WD with good tires works fine. Also you can drift like a boss. Getting ready to do an axle swap with 3.73 gears and traction lock or whatever its called.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals