• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

deciphering what axles

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
How do i tell what axles i have on my 1990 bronco ii 2.9 auto. And what are the best axles for a SAS

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
78-79 Dana 44 HP and 9" full size are the best in my opinion for SAS,

A Dana 28 is visually smaller a Dana 35 is bigger you can count the bolts on the diff to verify which one you have, look inside the drivers door for axle codes this will tell you what ratio and if you have trac lock l/s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The rear is a 7.5, no questions asked.

On the front, count the bolts. 10 bolts is a 35, 12 bolts is a 28. I know that sounds bass-ackwards, but it isn't.

It's probably a 35 in 1990.

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
what is better to have the dana 28 or the dana 35 and how hard is a SAS on a scale of 1 - 10

1 easiest 10 hardest

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What are your plans for your truck? (what size tires, what kind of wheeling?)

The D35 is a quite capable right out of the box and with just a few mods such as the Jeep hub swap and maybe 5-760X u-joints can spin 35" tires without worry. A D44 swap would get you larger brakes, but strengthwise it is more similar than different (which there are ways to swap said brakes onto the D35 as well).

If you have the D28, a D35 just bolts in it's place (if you don't have a lift, you'll likely need to shorten the driveshaft an inch).

If you still want to SAS, then I strongly suggest you get to reading about it. And then read some more.
There's a lot of different axles you can choose from (some better than others). Without knowing anything about your planned use or your skill level, none of us can even begin to tell you what axle is best or how easy it will be.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
i like to judge skill level based off your arsenal of tools,
if you don't own a big red box, with duplicates of most things, and you've never broken a half inch drive ratchet, and you don't own a grinder, your probably not skilled enough to get the job done, like wise, if you have all these things and know how to use them you'll probably be fine, if not you most likely have a buddy that might know how to use them better then you, and help is always appreciated.

My SAS D44 and 9" took about a yr and a half from conception to pavement.
now all that time wasn't spent busting knuckles and turning wrenches.
I collected parts and prepped parts and painted them, ordered more parts, read studied, read some more, asked more questions, and did more research.

The actual job took about a month working by myself on my days off, and after work.
it definitely could of been quicker, but i wasn't in a hurry, and i was still putting pieces of the puzzle together, including waiting over 2 weeks for the last piece of the puzzle (my shocks) so i could drive it. you effetely want to have another vehicle for the time that your truck is down

overall id say a skill level of 5 or higher is okay but 7 or above is preferred.

If you look in extreme suspensions you can find my build thread, look it over, read others, you'll learn lots of useful stuff

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
Well in terms of what i want to do with my truck i want 35's better brakes and more strength. The kind of wheeling i do is a little bit of everything i do minor rock crawling through some pretty rough creek beds, I like to throw it in mud holes, and trails. But the thing is that i will need to to be able to be daily drivin. Not expressway driven but definitely needs to be able to make the 15 mile run to town easily i don't want to have to fight it running all over the road.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I daily drive my b2 with the SAS and 5.5" lift I have hit 80 on the highway no problem it stops good and handles great, I drive 30 miles to and from work every day 15 miles high way and 15miles on the rural back roads at 55mph I love my full size axles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
what axles are you using?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals