• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake Help Asap Please!

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, been part of the forum for awhile, but havent posted much at all...anyways after hearing griding when i hit the brakes, i figured it was time for new pads, or at least for winter, then i plan on new rotors etc.

anyways today i installed new pads, and after driving home from my bros (where i installed them) i noticed my passenger side smelt bad and was smoking, my dad said it was the caliper hanging up not letting the brake release therefor catching etc?

what can i do to get rid of this without buying new anything! i dont have the money for anything else, just wanted pads for winter then i can do the rest. i tried driving around and hitting the brakes hard, soft, tapping, etc to break it looose, but no luck!

Help please...

THANKS

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Check the fluid level to see if you have too much in the reservoir...pushing the caliper in to clear the new pads forces the brake fluid back up into the reservoir and if you just topped it up there may be too much in it...you can siphon some off to the proper level in that case...

Maybe post the year of your truck...different years may have different symptoms depending on the vehicle specs...but it could be your caliper(s) needs to be replaced...

Edit: One other thing...the flex line could be crimped or worn to the point of causing the line to act as a check valve...this was posted not too long ago and I just remembered it...but the line to the caliper (flex line) may be causing the problem if the brake fluid level is OK...and those lines are fairly inexpensive to replace...but you'll have to bleed the lines (not a big job either...about $20 if you buy a one-man bleeder kit)...

Last edited:

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its a 2003 fx4....i also notice it seems to go to the left while driving...seems like the brake is sticking on that side? when i pushed the calipers in to fit over the new pads, they moved pretty easily, everthing seems fine...then i got out and smelt it, told my dad about it so we drove around the block a couple times, and its just my pass side...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
just posted an update on my post...the flex line may be causing this...someone else posted something similar in the Brakes forum...

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i did top off my brake fluid, maybe i added to much...is it safe to drive until i get time to pull it back apart and check it out??? i drive my truck for work bout 50 miles a day?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
No, if it's smoking, you definitely have a problem that you need to fix before you drive it around anymore.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I did the brakes on my buddy's 99 5.0 Exploder. His driver side rear caliper was locked up. I pulled the piston and cleaned it up. There was some thick black shit in spots. Most likely melted boot. But after that it was fine and hasn't given him trouble since.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It's probably safe....so to speak, but you're wearing out your pads and overheating the rotors, grease fittings, and that can lead to bearing wear/tires falling off...

I'd try to checking the fluid first...if it's overfull it can cause brake drag...and you can just siphon it off to the proper level...

If it's not over-full you may need to have the flex line replaced...

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i think it might be the fluid, but its wierd cause its only the pass side? otherwise ill take it apart and clean it up? its already dark n freezing here in Ne so i cant do anything tonight, and i work bright n early.

is there anything i can do it it tonight to maybe free it up? wd-40 or something???

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If the caliper is seized junk it, not too much you can do it free it up, it will keep sticking. Reman calipers aren't that expensive.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
WD will probably not help and add to the smell once it heats up...unless you find the caliper has debris in it like LittleBigFoot mentioned...but you'll need to remove the caliper and check the piston and that requires taking things apart anyways...

Checking the fluid and siphoning off excess is the only thing you can do without dismantling the brakes again...and that is easy enough...and can be done in about five minutes...if the fluid is not beyond the MAX line then that is NOT the issue...it would be debris in the caliper piston, the flex line, or maybe even the caliper itself...but if it just happened after changing the pads then it's probably one of the three things listed...

Rangerman4158

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to check your caliper slide pins they are bad about sticking and causing over heating if the pin don't slide free you need to put some brake slide grease on it and it should help with your problem

Rangerman4158

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and also check and make sure that the brake line is not twisted and in a circle that will cause restriction in the line and slow the flow of the fluid

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
what are the caliper slide pins??? also, i just went outside and sprayed PB blaster all over the brake etc and drove it around the block hitting the brakes etc, didnt pull to that side and when i got home and got out, didnt smell and taking a flashlight to it didnt show any signs of smoke?

i think tomorrow when i get off, ill go back to my brothers(garage) and take it apart again and clean it all out...

Rangerman4158

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The bolt that you took off to get the caliper off is attached to a pin that slides in and out of the caliper bracket there is a rubber seal that goes around it and it is probably not a good idea to spray PB blaster on the rotor it'll cause the pads to seperate

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals