• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd works, but dash 4x4 light is erratic

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey all,

I have a 96 2.3 4x4 Ranger, 5 speed with manual transfer case,

4wd works just fine, both high and lo, but the dash indicator light for the 4x4 is doing some weird stuff and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

If I start the truck with the headlights off, and keep them off, I will never see the 4x4 light come on for 4 hi or 4 lo, though 4wd is clearly working fine.

If I start the truck with the headlights off, then switch the headlights and dash illumination on, no 4x4 light will appear regardless of whether I'm in 2wd, 4 hi or 4 lo, but once I turn the headlight switch off, I have a 4x4 light on the dash that will not go off, even in 2wd?

If I shut the truck and lights off and start it again with the lights off, the light will be gone again and will only come on if I turn the headlights on an off again... but the light doesnt care what drive mode I'm in. Its like the 4x4 light is wired to the headlight switch!!

What should I check? Could this be a fuse issue? Where is the sensor or switch for the 4x4 dash light? On the t case somewhere? What is this part called?

Thank you! I'd love for this light to work properly and this one has me stumped

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a look at below PDF of instrument cluster
EDIT: I have already posted it in this thread so get it from here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170544

There are 3 multi-wire connectors on the back of the cluster, C214, C215, and C216

Connector C214 pins 2, 3, and 5 are for 4x4 lights

2 and 3 run to the switch on the manual transfer case, and are GROUNDS when 4high or 4low is selected, no ground when in 2WD

5 runs to the Main Light switch and is the 12volts from Fuse #11 in cab fuse box when key is on.
So when key is on both 4x4 light bulbs should have 12volts, the transfer case switch Grounds a Bulb which causes it to light up

Could be main light switch is wearing out, so pin 5 is not getting the 12volts all the time
Could be switch on transfer case is not a good ground all the time

Check fuse #11 first
Unplug and plug back in main light switch connector if possible, could just be dirty intermittent connection on the switch
Same with Ground switch on transfer case, you could use Volt meter and each of those two wires on the transfer case switch should show 12volts with key on, and the 4WD light on that wire should come on when that wire is Grounded

Last edited:

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
RonD to the rescue as always!:headbang: Thanks

That is very helpful and I will look into all of that.

I've taken the dash out several times to inspect it and it hasn't changed anything and the connectors look OK, so Ill look into the light switch and t case switch.

My next question for you is what is the official name of this switch on the transfer case? I've tried every search term I could think of and haven't been able to find a replacement part

Chris

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4x4 indicator switch

You have a BW1354 transfer case

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Thanks. I still didn't have any luck finding a replacement switch...

But I did make some progress. It turns out some one had crossed the wires for the indicator switch and the downstream 02 sensor... the 02 sensor was literally plugged into the switch... yikes...

So I now have 4wd and 4lo lights working but ONLY when my headlights are off.

When the headlights are on, the 4x4 lights go off. I measured the voltage across pin 5 with the headlights off and I get .05 volts.the voltage at pin 5 with the headlights off is around 12 as I would expect

Does this mean anything to you? Bad headlight switch?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Check the ground wire for your 4x4 pushbutton lights. the indicator lights inside the 4-lo and 4-hi puchbuttons share a common ground with the general illumination light in the assembly. if that ground is missing, then turning on the lights puts 12v on both sides of the indicator lights. with 12v on both sides of a light, the light will do nothing because there is no resaon for current to flow from 12v to 12v.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you meant .05v head lights ON, 12v headlights off?

Yes, that would mean the Main light switch is turning off the 12v to the dash 4x4 lights when it is rotated, internal issue.

Looking at the diagram for C214, you could use a jumper wire from pin 13(red/yellow wire) on instrument cluster to pin 5(orange/black wire)
You would disconnect/cut orange/black wire so it didn't send 12v back to broken main light switch from pin 13's 12v.

Pin 5 and pin 13 both get 12v from fuse 11(7.5amp) which only has power with key on
Its just that pin 5 power passes thru light switch, and not sure why that is???

EDIT: in the diagram it does show power from fuse 11 switching to dimming module when you rotate the light switch, for dash lights, but I can't see why it should cut power to 4x4 lights, there is no reason I can fathom for it

Last edited:

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
I think you meant .05v head lights ON, 12v headlights off?

Yes, that would mean the Main light switch is turning off the 12v to the dash 4x4 lights when it is rotated, internal issue.

Looking at the diagram for C214, you could use a jumper wire from pin 13(red/yellow wire) on instrument cluster to pin 5(orange/black wire)
You would disconnect/cut orange/black wire so it didn't send 12v back to broken main light switch from pin 13's 12v.

Pin 5 and pin 13 both get 12v from fuse 11(7.5amp) which only has power with key on
Its just that pin 5 power passes thru light switch, and not sure why that is???

EDIT: in the diagram it does show power from fuse 11 switching to dimming module when you rotate the light switch, for dash lights, but I can't see why it should cut power to 4x4 lights, there is no reason I can fathom for it
Hi RonD-

Thank you, yet again. I apologize for writing that backwards- As you said I meant that I got 12v with the headlight switch OFF, and got only .05 with the headlights ON.

Also, could you please share the link to that diagram again? I tried the first link you gave but page was not found. Also do you have a diagram for proper wiring of the headlight switch and connector? I had a 94 ranger that had weird lighting issues because someone had swapped a bunch of wires around in the headlight switch connector itself, it would be nice to double check that mine isn't altered

So if I understand you right, what you are suggesting is that I use a different constant power wire to send power to Pin 5, for now?

Also I keep swapping the #11 fuse for posterity, no changes

Much appreciated as always!!

Chris

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Check the ground wire for your 4x4 pushbutton lights. the indicator lights inside the 4-lo and 4-hi puchbuttons share a common ground with the general illumination light in the assembly. if that ground is missing, then turning on the lights puts 12v on both sides of the indicator lights. with 12v on both sides of a light, the light will do nothing because there is no resaon for current to flow from 12v to 12v.
Hey, thanks for the reply. What do you mean by push button? I have a manual transfer case, not the dash switch type.

Are you referring to the actual contact switch on the transfer case itself?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sorry. I missed the detail about manual transfer case.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Update: I got the 4x4 indicator lights working properly, independent of headlight switch position

Followed RonD's suggestion on using the pin 13 wire to power pin 13 and pin 5

Id love to know what went wrong but this is a great solution for someone else with this problem

Many thanks!! :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals