• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Axle Stub Shaft removal.

Pavoner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
It looks like I will be replacing U-Joints on the front axle on my, 1997 Ford Ranger (think it's a Dana 35...) 4.0L, Auto (5R55E), extended cab. The right front (outboard) seems to of developed a lot of play in the last 4 months (last time I checked them...). I haven't had a chance to get under there and check the one on the stub shaft, but I am unable to find info on removing the stub shaft either in my Chilton manual or on here... Does it just pull out or is there a "C" clip in there that needs to be removed like the rear axle? I have never had to do U-Joints on a Ranger before any other thing you guys think is pertinent please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks again,

Chris

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a write up in this thread towards the bottom.

Click Here

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have to do the outer u-joint (the one closest to the tire), just remove the boot that is in the middle of the passenger side shaft and the outer u-joint will pull out. If it is the inner, you have to remove the pig to get the c-clip out of the carrier so you can remove the axle.

If you remove the axle, you should do the c-clip eliminator mod so you NEVER have to pull the pig again to change a u-joing. Here is a how-to for it:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26488

Pavoner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, that sucks! Thanks for the info sorry for starting a new thread when there was already a write up. Man do I hope I don't have to change that U-Joint!

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The first time I did u-joints on my truck it took me and 2 buddys three days to get it all buttoned back up. Now I can tear the whole front end out, change joints, and put it back, in about 2 hours. But yea, the first time is a little intimidating.

Pavoner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
anyone ever tried to change the inner U-Joint without removing that whole pig? is there any reason Ford would not of put just a regular diff cover on the front of the beam? strength? just currious/angry/scared... don't wan't to tear that thing outa there!

Thanks again all!

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is SUPER easy to take the pig out and put it back. If you read the how-to on the c-clip eliminator and do it, you wont have to take the pig out anymore.

The ONLY way you learn is to do.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You can do it in place, but you need to torch the old joint out and use a u joint press to get the new one in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals