• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Fuel Pump Issues

misak1914

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Greetings all. I recently pulled my engine, swapped out a few parts, resealed some gaskets, then put it back in my 84-B2-2.8l. Still haven't been able to start the thing. For one, there's no fuel being pumped into the carburetor. I pulled the metal line going into the fuel filter attached a hose, put the hose in a glass container, turned over the engine, and found there was no gas being pumped. Next, I swapped out the fuel pump because I figured that would be the obvious fix and when I test to see if fuel is being pumped, still nada, nothing, zip.

When I did my search in this forum it seems all I find is advice on 2.9l and newer engines with the fuel cutoff/inertia switch on the passenger's side, under the carpet. Just so that I didn't miss something so simple I actually removed seats and the entire carpet to check. Next, just so I could eliminate the obvious, I jacked up my B2, disconnected my fuel inlet line and put the line in my lawnmower gas tank to see if the pump would draw gas from there. Still nada, nothing, zip.

Can anyone help me figure out why my B2 isn't pumping gas to the carburetor? :bawling: Thanks guys.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If the pump is dry and the line is empty it might take a while to convince it to draw the fuel through. If the line has any damage (pin hole for instance) it will not be able to draw the fuel through. On the odd occasion that mine had a dry fuel line for one reason or another I gave her a good squirt of quick start, which would run the motor for a few seconds and give the pump a chance to prime itself.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
when you turn the key to on can you hear the fuel pump? It should run for a few seconds as it primes the carb. Could be a relay problem if you cant hear it or some other wire problem

misak1914

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi Swamprat. Not sure what sound a manual fuel pump on a 2.8l makes when I turn the key. Was that a trick question?

But now I don't think it's a fuel pump issue. This time I connected the metal tube to the fuel pump then connected to rubber inlet tube going into the pump, from the pump to a funnel. Filled the funnel with gas and attempted to start the engine. It wasn't all that fast but it did drain the gas from the funnel. Ergo, I must be barking up the wrong tree thinking my issue is with the fuel pump.

Next, to rule out fire to the engine as a problem, I tested the #1 spark plug by pulling the plug attaching the spark plug wire, grounding the plug and attempting to start the engine. Voila! I see the spark. But still no engine turn over.

So, I guess the next thing I can assume is that my B2's timing is jacked up. I'm going to pull the distributor, pull the #1 spark plug, turn the engine until I feel the puff of air, replace everything and try it again. Does this sound like a wise course of action or should I try something else?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
before you pull anything apart, give it a shot of quick start down the carb and see if it runs for a few seconds. did you read my previous post?

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi Swamprat. Not sure what sound a manual fuel pump on a 2.8l makes when I turn the key. Was that a trick question?

But now I don't think it's a fuel pump issue. This time I connected the metal tube to the fuel pump then connected to rubber inlet tube going into the pump, from the pump to a funnel. Filled the funnel with gas and attempted to start the engine. It wasn't all that fast but it did drain the gas from the funnel. Ergo, I must be barking up the wrong tree thinking my issue is with the fuel pump.

Next, to rule out fire to the engine as a problem, I tested the #1 spark plug by pulling the plug attaching the spark plug wire, grounding the plug and attempting to start the engine. Voila! I see the spark. But still no engine turn over.

So, I guess the next thing I can assume is that my B2's timing is jacked up. I'm going to pull the distributor, pull the #1 spark plug, turn the engine until I feel the puff of air, replace everything and try it again. Does this sound like a wise course of action or should I try something else?
sorry missed the manual part

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm with Martin. Go with the starter fluid first. If you can't get the pump to prime after that, then you may have other issues, but it sounds like you have a known fuel delivery issue that needs solved before you move on.

misak1914

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I didn't want to admit it, but my timing was 180 degrees off. Now we're rocking and rolling. Now I just need to locate a timing light and fine tune the timing. I'm not sure how many people come back and say thank you, but if it wasn't for all of the great guys that replied to my various post I wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell. Thanks to all who cared to help a stranger. :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals