• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'95: Could a rotted heater core cause a low temp guage?

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'95 Ranger. First - the t-stat is fine. Changed it out - the original was OK, and putting a new one in - absolutely no change.

If car is started and idled - the guage won't make it to the bottom line, and heater never works. If driven - the heater does work decently well and decently quickly, but the gauge only makes it maybe 40% of the way to the "middle", at best.

Using a heat gun, a reputable shop diagnosed this as the heater core. Your opinion?

My biggest concern is that in retrospect- I don't understand how a partially rotted heater core could affect the temperature guage (since the sensor is up in front of the thermostat...er, isn't it?)

Thanks

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Since my truck overheated about four years ago the temp gauge barely makes it off the C...could be a wonky gauge if there is heat coming out of the heater...

You could also have an air lock in there...and maybe a plugged core if it is not showing heat with a thermal imaging device. Try taking the hoses off the heater core and connect them together...if the temp gauge rises somewhat then it may be a plugged core...but the heater core, when flowing properly, will actually lower the temperature when the heat is turned on.

My Dad taught me to help lower temps in an overheating engine...turn the heater on full blast...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First the gauge, the temp sender on the engine will have 1 wire connected.
The sender is a resistor and the engine is the ground, so the needle on the gauge reads resistant to Ground on that 1 wire.
If you unplug that wire and turn on the key gauge should show below Cold because there is no Ground.
If you directly Ground that wire the gauge should show above Hot.
That will test if the gauge is working, not the sender just the gauge.

Next, the thermostat, 195degF model is what needs to be in there, if you don't specify the temp you will often get a 180degF.

This means the radiator will not be used until upper engine temperature has reached 195degF, the thermostats job is to block flow to radiator.

To check if thermostat is working correctly, start cold engine and feel upper rad hose, it will be cold, after engine idles for a few minutes feel it again, it should still be cold, if it is warming up with the engine then thermostat is open which is wrong.
Upper rad hose should not get warm until thermostat opens at 195degF, above 1/3 on gauge.

A working Ford temp sender and gauge will be about 220degF when needle is in the middle.
So after first startup the needle should steadily climb to above 1/3 and below 1/2 on the gauge, this should take no more than 5 to 8 minutes depending on outside temp.
Feel the upper rad hose, that's the best way to tell if t-stat is working.

Also check the engine fan, when engine is cold and off, fan should spin easily.
The fan clutch unit will fail in the lock position, this is the "fail safe" mode, to prevent overheating, but will also cause over cooling if it happens.
The fan clutch is heated up by the radiator temp, not engine temp, so it should spin easily until rad is warmed up by engine running above 200degF for awhile.

No, you are correct, clogged heater core wouldn't be your problem, a partially blocked heater core can cause random temp gauge fluctuations but these would make needle go above 1/2 then back down to just below 1/2, not down to "cold".

The Lima 4cyl engines are not great heat generators at idle, and do tend to run on the cold side especially when outside temps are cold, you can add "water pipe insulation" on some of the longer heater hoses, this holds in the heat generated by the engine.

On the '95 and up Rangers I believe the dash has to be partially removed to replace the heater core, I think shop manual says 5-6 hour job, on my '94 it was a 20min. job.

So in your case if the core is not leaking yet, I would try Back Flushing the core to make it last as long as possible.
Google: back flushing heater core

Next time engine is warmed up open the hood and feel each of the two heater hoses at the firewall, one will be warmer than the other, the warmer one is the IN hose, the cooler one is the OUT hose, if you are not sure, start engine and turn heat to HOT and Fan on High.
Now feel the hoses again.
Mark the IN hose and mark the firewall IN hose connection.

Cold engine, open rad cap to relieve any pressure
Remove the two heater core hoses at the firewall and plug the hoses or raise them up to prevent coolant loss.
Use garden hose with low flow and put it on the OUT hose connection on firewall
This will push out any larger debris the way it came in, the back flush part

You can also mix up some CLR(or vinegar) in warm water and pour it into the core, let it sit for 20 min. the back flush core again, repeat as you see fit.

Increase garden hose flow to make sure flow in and out of the core is the same, so no blockages.

Refill core with coolant or distilled water before reconnecting hoses, this will prevent an air lock in the system.

Last edited:

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wow, thanks for all that.

The T-state temperature is correct (195), as was the temp of the one already in there. That's one of the few things I know to make sure of.

Since I'd also like to replace some bulbs in the instrument panel, I'd next want to check the temperature gauge. This may be a stupid question - but how do I get a wire out of the sensor without breaking anything? I realize now I've never er, done that.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not a stupid question, but I don't have a smart answer, lol.

Most Ford connectors require you to squeeze a tab and then pull up/off the connector.
The connector on the wire end is like a sleeve that slides over the sender's connector, so the part you see should come off with the wire.

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK. This makes more sense. The temp. sensor up by the thermostat is for the engine - the *other* temp. sensor that controls the gauge in the instrument panel is...edit: no, that still doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

NIPs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One shot one Kill
Yes cuz ur cooling system never builds pressure

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure it is not leaking past the thermostat? Pull the hoses off the engine for the heater and check the fittings for restriction I suppose if you restrict flow through the heater cor it will actually act like a radiator. The thermostat performs two functions it allows the engine to warm up and it also restricts flow of coolant through the radiator to allow heat to transfer. These engines are notorious for not getting warm in the winter. Maybe drain the coolant out not to lose it then disconnect the heater hoses and then put the hose in the radiator and apply pressure to the system and see how much water flows out the heater fittings. while the hose is running get a drill the size of the inside of the fittings and ream them out so the crap get pushed out. Then backflush out the heater core. put on new hoses and see how well ithe heater works. That will be the true test on how well it is warming up. A good way to flush the heater core is backflush it both ways and then fill it with 1/2 bleach water and let sit overnight, just tie the hoses up above the level of the heater core. the next day back flush it good a few times both ways and hook it back up. My guess is one of the heat hose fittings on the engine is restricted both hoses should heat up about the same when the engine is running.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea you need to start pulling stuff out of the way and the pully for the fan is under belt tension so when you remove those four nuts the belt will mess you up, you need to relieve tension on the belt first I am pretty sure. Be careful when you loosen the fan you dont want to damage the radiator fins they bend over real easy just take your time somtimes you need to remove three fan nuts and leave one almost off and the unbolt the fan schroud and pull them both out together being careful of the radiator fins. GL you will get it sorted out.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yea loosen the nuts for the fan first before you loosen the belt tension I am sure others here will give you a better step by step in case you need to confirm the engine is timed correctly when you put it back together? I know what they look like but never done one.

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, well turning the fan when the engine is hot - resistance, it only turns a few inches with a light push. When cold - same exact resistance, only a few inches with a light push. "Turn freely" is a little subjective - but this doesn't seem like turns freely, and there should be a difference between cold/hot engine resistance in the fan.

So - at least among the things wrong - fan clutch. On the 2.3L this looks not that hard (the V6 - gah, much harder, special tool, bolt that turns the "wrong" way, etc.) But not the 2.3L, so I'm going to try switching that out today. It...looks easier than the instrument panel bulbs I just switched out.

Last edited:

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK replaced fan clutch. Ford no longer sells them, so got one from Napa. Very easy to install on 3rd generation 2.3L - no need for special tools, nor to even touch the belt. Just 4 standard bolts holding fan to clutch, and 4 bolts holding clutch to engine. That plus taking off the radiator shroud (just 2 bolts on mine) and that's it.

It now heats up at idle with a full strong heater! The temperature guage is...similar. If I can find where that sensor even is...I may check it. I may also ignore this.

And, blah - blackflush the heater core for preventive maintenance, since apparently that *also* isn't quite right.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, fan clutch troubleshooting is subjective.

The temp sensor for the computer is located on the drivers side of the engine towards the front below the intake, two wires, you can usually see it through the drivers side tire well.

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, fan clutch troubleshooting is subjective.

The temp sensor for the computer is located on the drivers side of the engine towards the front below the intake, two wires, you can usually see it through the drivers side tire well.
Thanks,

The clutch was bad - the new one is far less aggressive when idling, the heater now works at idle, and the entire engine vibrates a lot less. It had also appeared to be leaking, though the mechanic that checked it wasn't sure, as it could have been stains from when I changed the thermostat.

Hm, I don't have any reason to believe the sensor that feeds info to the computer is bad - the engine seems to heat up fine. It didn't at idle, but the new fan clutch seems to have solved that. I'm thinking it's more a problem with the other sensor that controls the instrument cluster gauge, that or the gauge itself...?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals