• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing headlight lens on 89-92 Ranger

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My headlight lenses on my '89 are fogged on the outside and the inside due to a crack. So I picked up some nice clear, crack free headlight assemblies. The black plastic housing (bucket) they fasten to is broken so I've taken one lens off the "bucket" to put on my truck. Of the three plastic winged looking nuts I broke two. How do you remove these without breaking them? I tried to gingerly remove them but didn't work. I don't want to break the ones on the truck currently so I can reuse them. It appears the "winged" portion is split and the piece against the bucket has two nubs that look to retain the "wing". It looks as if you could pry the lower part of the "wing" up they would turn easier and prevent breakage? Any hints or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
They were a pain for me as well. My old lenses were crap and I had some new ones from ebay so I just cut the plastic up on the old lens until I could get the black wing nuts out. Then I snapped them into the new lens, used a flathead screwdriver to spin them into lock position and everything went back together without even realigning headlights. If you are trying to get them off the ones you want to reuse then that's of no use I guess.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals