• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 28 OEM LSD...a myth?

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've been searching on the internet and in books about these TTB D28 front ends. I hear that limited slips for these a very rare.

I would like to know whether searching for one would be a waste of time.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, not a myth. Yes, waste of time.

But your 94 wouldn't have a D28.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
D35 with D28 out shafts and carrier?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Being a 4cylinder it most likely does have the hybrid diff, so I'd avoid throwig a locker in it to keep from breaking parts. I'd upgrade to a full D35 before thinking of a locker.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Since on the subject of Danas, Lima Bean said mine has one. I don't know the difference between a Dana or anything else. I just know I need to probably change the fluid in mine. lol that and Lima said mine has a small leak (which I probably know EXACTLY how that happened.... I slid through a cornner and got half way high centered on a meridian and had to reverse off of it. sad sad face..... that happened during a blizzard here in anchorage earlier this winter.)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
D35 with D28 guts.

The earlier D28 carriers I suspect do fit the later D28/35 hybrid axle, however unless you absolutely 100% do NOT have ANY plans to ever put tires on it larger than stock, I would agree you would be wasting your time putting any $$$ into that axle.

My suggestion would be to find a D35 center chunk and replace your hybrid chunk with that. Everything else is the same except that chunk and the two axle shafts that directly enter into it.
Then find a limited slip diff (or locker, whatever your choosing) for the D35.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Since on the subject of Danas, Lima Bean said mine has one. I don't know the difference between a Dana or anything else. I just know I need to probably change the fluid in mine. lol that and Lima said mine has a small leak (which I probably know EXACTLY how that happened.... I slid through a cornner and got half way high centered on a meridian and had to reverse off of it. sad sad face..... that happened during a blizzard here in anchorage earlier this winter.)
If the information of your truck under your avatar is correct and your truck is a 2wd then you don't have a dana axle anywhere under your truck. The rear axle is a Ford 7.5.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
D35 with D28 guts.

The earlier D28 carriers I suspect do fit the later D28/35 hybrid axle, however unless you absolutely 100% do NOT have ANY plans to ever put tires on it larger than stock, I would agree you would be wasting your time putting any $$$ into that axle.

My suggestion would be to find a D35 center chunk and replace your hybrid chunk with that. Everything else is the same except that chunk and the two axle shafts that directly enter into it.
Then find a limited slip diff (or locker, whatever your choosing) for the D35.
I plan running 215/75r15 tires until I get a good deal on Ranger Alcoas, then I'll run whatever tire size equal to OEM size. The only reason I thought it would be a good idea to keep the D28 is to keep weight off the front end* and avoid re-gearing.

*Although weight savings may only be 1-2 lbs for all I know.

93-97 D35 TTB axles I guess is what I need? I assume explorer axles work just the same. I'm also reading here it is a special carrier in the hybrid axles which may cause a OEM LSD to not work at all.

Manual lock outs wouldn't be a waste right? Since if I go with a D35, the outer stuff all stays?

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a hybrid on mine for a couple of years without any problems.My 28 was giving me problems with the outer axle joints once I put on my 33's.I had a lock right in the front too.I bought the hybrid used from the station.I wanted a dana 35 but settled for the hybrid because it saved me $700 dollars.By the time I bought gears and set them up and bought a new locker for the front as my 28 locker fit in the hybrid.If my hybrid would break today I would buy the parts and build a 35.It wouldn't scare me a bit to run small tires and a locker on a hybrid.The thing is you have to be careful putting money into a hybrid it'll never be a 35.

My differential book says Randy's Ring and pinion has not seen a limited slip 28 or 35.So the chances of finding one are pretty poor.When I put in a lock right it really helped in the snow a lot.If your a 4.10 ratio a locked dana 35 is expensive. A hybrid with a lock right is putting $300 dollars in a inferior differential.I was really frustrated when I was there.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I plan running 215/75r15 tires until I get a good deal on Ranger Alcoas, then I'll run whatever tire size equal to OEM size. The only reason I thought it would be a good idea to keep the D28 is to keep weight off the front end* and avoid re-gearing.

93-97 D35 TTB axles I guess is what I need? I assume explorer axles work just the same. I'm also reading here it is a special carrier in the hybrid axles which may cause a OEM LSD to not work at all.

Manual lock outs wouldn't be a waste right? Since if I go with a D35, the outer stuff all stays?
With OEM sized tires and a four cylinder you only have old age fatigue problems to worry about which can happen to any axle.

But if you are going to lock it, go with a D35. You have much more selection and you are not painting yourself in a corner with a weaker axle. Just try to shop for one with gearing to match what you have. Personally I would prefer a '95+ Ranger with the bolt on calipers but that is a fairly minor preferance, they are all good.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Correct, you can get a set of lockout hubs now if you need them.

'91-'97 Rangers, '91-'94 Explorers for a D35. Some (but not all) 1990 Rangers and Bronco IIs will have the D35 also.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I've been searching on the internet and in books about these TTB D28 front ends. I hear that limited slips for these a very rare.

I would like to know whether searching for one would be a waste of time.
Just because no ones ever seen one that doesnt make it rare. :icon_twisted:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just because no ones ever seen one that doesnt make it rare. :icon_twisted:
Doesn't make it really common either. :D

IIRC it was a really odd combo you had to have to get the limited slip, something like a four cylinder with a certain gear ratio or something like that.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
4.10 gears for a RC D35 are running $284.81 as of now. I guess I got to keep an eye out for that axle/dif then. I should find one sooner than later. The D35 has a great selection of lockers/lsd's.:headbang:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
$255.95 here:
http://www.jamesoaksenterprises.com/products/d28-d35_gears.htm

What size tires is "OEM size"? If it's the metric equivalent of 31x10.50s (265/75R15), I'd suggest going with 4.56 gears. Not only would your 2.3L push those tires better with 4.56s, you could also save yourself as much as $92 on your gear purchase.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals