• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Well Worn Differential

rangerpilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
How bad is it that I have had a whine coming from the rear differential for several years. It actually started when my transmission was replaced but the shop didn't hear the "new" sound and said all was ok.

Anyway, I just had it looked at for another reason and they said it was about to go. Quoted me $1200 (well, reduced it to $1000) for a used assumbly (full axle) or $1600 for a rebuild (just the differential).

I asked what could happen if not repaired. They said anything from locking up on the highway to snapping an axle and blowing through the truck bed.

So should I worry?

1999 Ranger 4.0
5-speed manual
4x4
250,000 miles

Replaced differential fluid 4-5 months ago ... I don't know what I am looking for but the gears looked immaculate ... didn't look bad at all but that is very unqualified opinion.

How severe is this to keep driving?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A whine could be bearings going. That can be bad. If it is just gear whine it probably won't break anything but the gears. A bearing failure can take out the whole assembly if it is bad enough.

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't believe a differential rebuild would help if it's an axle bearing, and at 250K, it's time for a full rebuild or replacement, but a recycled rear assembly of questionable origins leads to weighing options. What kind of a warranty are they talking about? It can be a gamble when there's a party that stands to profit from an early failure.

How mechanically inclined you are can be a determining factor here too. Can you pull the rear end yourself, and pay for just a "bench" rebuild, or pay removal and installation at one shop, and take it to a reputable trans & axle place for a rebuild? How much would it be if you buy the parts and bring them in for either case? I can be a bit of a nuisance at shops, but 99% of the time, you can get exactly what you want done at a great value if you know how to work the system, even just a little bit.

Whatever the case, I wish you luck with it. Keep everyone posted on the verdict. Kk

rangerpilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
I too am very skeptical of repair shops ... even some of the more branded ones. I took this to AAMCO which has done a lot of work on this truck in the past and also overprice and "work with you" if you sound like it is too expensive of a repair (hence $1200 being reduced down to $1000).

I don't doubt I need to do something to the rear end...I just have the "I can't afford but want to get something newer itch" and don't want to spend $1000 on the truck if it will last another couple years.

If I have the appropriate equipment then yes, I am mechanically inclined and would much prefer to save the money and do this myself if I could get the parts. Where/How do you support the truck if you are dropping the rear?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My local junkyards sell complete rear axles for 200$. Id go that route.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals