• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Edge long travel input please

motorbill87

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/2006
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L/4.6L
Transmission
Automatic
Wow this went from a helpful conversation to a shit talking competition. The only person that "wins" is charlie sheen. So unless y'all are gonna have a duel lets end the dick swinging competition for now.

Just use mild steel for most everything you're going to build on the truck. Its more cost effective that way.

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
I'm all for people building they'er own stuff
They're isn't a misspelling of their, I just used the wrong word. Did someone pee in your cereal this morning or do you just enjoy pointing out trivial things to make yourself feel like a big man?
they'er is a misspelling of they're which was the wrong they're, their, there. just because its the interwebs doesn't mean the degradation of the english language is "trivial". some people enjoy not having to read at a 3rd grade level.
:icon_cheers:

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
Wow this went from a helpful conversation to a shit talking competition. The only person that "wins" is charlie sheen. So unless y'all are gonna have a duel lets end the dick swinging competition for now.
mine's shorter, i already know that.

wait...

they'er is a misspelling of they're which was the wrong they're, their, there. just because its the interwebs doesn't mean the degradation of the english language is "trivial". some people enjoy not having to read at a 3rd grade level.
:icon_cheers:
thats what i wanted to say, but didn't.

2kxlt3.slow

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
When you say using mild steel is fine for the building of the suspension components would that be hot rolled or cold rolled. just done a lot of searching and cant find definitive answer, im planning on fabing my own suspension aswell, planning on using 3/16 cold rolled if i can find it were im at, unless hot rolled is ok then thats everywere.

redrider121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am working with a few professors at Sac State on which materials to use. I've come to the conclusion that, even though Chromoly is wayyy stronger, it doesn't have as long of a life span. So what I'm trying to say is that unless your on a professional, sponsored team and scrapping the frame/suspension every two years at the longest, it's vulnerable for failure because of fatigue.

So what this means is stronger the material=brittleness=fatigue=short life= $$$$. This goes for any material that is stronger. It seems as if standard hot rolled steel is the best way to go.

Cold rolled means its just cut and rolled super precisely to your specifications. But if your going to weld it, there will be some slight warpage which defeats the purpose of cold rolled haha. But maybe I'm getting cold rolled and flat bar confused....

Cody Ray

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I believe flat bar can be hot or cold rolled. Cold rolling work hardens the metal and improves surface finish but requires multiple passes to produce the same thickness as hot rolled.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
I am working with a few professors at Sac State on which materials to use. I've come to the conclusion that, even though Chromoly is wayyy stronger, it doesn't have as long of a life span. So what I'm trying to say is that unless your on a professional, sponsored team and scrapping the frame/suspension every two years at the longest, it's vulnerable for failure because of fatigue.

So what this means is stronger the material=brittleness=fatigue=short life= $$$$. This goes for any material that is stronger. It seems as if standard hot rolled steel is the best way to go.

Cold rolled means its just cut and rolled super precisely to your specifications. But if your going to weld it, there will be some slight warpage which defeats the purpose of cold rolled haha. But maybe I'm getting cold rolled and flat bar confused....
on a race truck, i could see fatigue being an issue. but i doubt the OP will be out racing every chance he gets, if at all. 4130 would be fine and would hold up for the life of the truck.

lesser grades of metal can and are used, 4130's main reason for use is weight savings by being able to use a thinner piece of metal throughout. on a properly designed arm, you can use a bit thicker cold rolled plate and still be just as well off as using 4130.

2kxlt3.slow

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
From the reading ive done, if i understand correctly cold rolled is sent through the rollers at room temp making it both cleaner to work with than hot rolled but also tighter compression of the molecuels within the metal which equalls higher stregth? is that accurate? also the reason for asking is who can afford 4130 as a privateer building a DD/play truck. Cold rolled sheet is like 5x the price of hot rolled. i can swing cold rolled if it is infact stronger then hot rolled but if hot rolled is fine if you structure properly i would just go with that.

Last edited:

redrider121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, I know this thread is kind of old and maybe gone crap lol. Anyways, I was just going to ask if anyone thinks I should attempt to use the stock uprights and spindles, or if I should fabricate my own?

Oh and a quick update, I think I'm going to make a subframe that bolts straight in to the existing a-arm/control arm locations with tabs for the new a-arms and control arms mounted a little bit lower. Also the subframe is going to have the shock hoops connected to it. The reasoning is it could give the front end some added strength, and better ground clearance. I know it will be heavier, but thats not the biggest concern. The biggest concern is making it as bolt-on as possible incase I ever need to go back to stock. And with the shock hoops mounted to the subframe, I'll only need to cut the wheel wells in one location so the cross bar for the top of the shock hoops can be mounted.

Nothing has happened yet, but as soon as it does, Ill post pictures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals