• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger - low range shift motor probs.

Anonymous Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello guys. I'm pretty new to the Ranger thing. Well not so new to driving it but definitely to wrenching on it. My 96 XLT has push button low range. It only works when I'm lucky. Sometimes it'll shift into low but take half an hour of hitting the button to come out of low. This is very annoying. Any experience with this problem? I'm not sure where to start looking - is this a common problem? Can't help but think a shift lever was the better solution but Ford couldn't leave well enough alone. I'm going to start by trying to isolate the problem motor vs wiring and switch. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
first off, ya sure it is a 96...should be a knob....

secondly, is it an auto or manual tranny......

lastly, if it has any driveline pressure on it, will not switch til the "bind" is eased off.....

l8r, John

Anonymous Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry about the year thing. You're correct it's a 94 - I'm loosing it! I've tried all manner of maneuvers to relieve the tension in the system - doesn't help. It is a 5 spd with terribly tall gears. This is in fact the reason I always need the low range - it's pretty useless off-road in high range. BTW I also get a symphony of pops, groans and grinds while in high range off-road. From my research online this seems a symptom bitched auto hubs. I think the fact that they don't correctly engage or disengage may put tension on the drivetrain.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals