• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Skyjacker 6” m95 performance lift kit thoughts?

RangerRough

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6.5"
Tire Size
35" KM3
Hello community!
I am having a difficult time choosing a lift kit for my 96 ranger 4x4. TRS recommends skyjacker and I am new to building a ranger. I was thinking of buying the 6” m95 performance lift kit for $2400, so I did some research about skyjacker kits and got some disturbing results, mostly people saying the bushing get wrecked super fast and the kits tend to sag fast as well mostly jeeps and non ranger vehicles. A lot of these posts were pretty old and prolly not too relevent to the current kits. I trust TRS and their vast knowledge about rangers, so i am here to ask you the community about their experiences with skyjacker lift kits and their performance and lasting durability. Or does anyone recommend other kits? Or like a ranked list of lift kits. I want to build my ranger to last because I dont have unlimited amounts of funds and i like to do things the right way the first time.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I used a Skyjacker Class II kit on my 1996 Ford Ranger and loved it. I would get the M95 shocks with it. People will probably chime in and say Bilstein. The M95 are great shocks.

I didn't notice my kit sag any, even after it was 10 years old.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
i used the Skyjacker class 2 kit and I like it also. The front coils may be a bit soft for my truck. I'm fine-tuning a pair of spacers to get it right. But that's no big problem. I feel like the kit quality was excellent.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Agreed, Skyjacker is currently best you can do if you're building a trail rig.

Skyjacker isn't without a few issues (an incomplete steering correction for the lift probably being the biggest one), but for the most part these issues are all well-documented and can be dealt with to turn the kit into something quite decent (none of them affects durability of the kit).

The Skyjacker kit on my '94 Ranger, I bought over 20 years ago. No spring sag that I can tell or any issues with brackets or where they attach to the frame (and the truck saw plenty of hard use before I got my BII, which it too also runs Skyjacker springs).

Camburg and Autofab are two others also worth considering if you like to do the go-fast-in-the-desert thing. These kits are more geared toward high-speed running and so are built somewhat differently (modification to the axle beams themselves to provide better clearance for landing jumps, better shocks, bumpstops, etc). They tend to be a bit more spendy though, and may not handle quite as well if the trail is very off-camber or steep.

RangerRough

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6.5"
Tire Size
35" KM3
Thank everyone for your help!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It really depends on what you're doing with the truck. Rock crawling? Desert racing? Daily driver/light wheeler? Or just want the look of bigger tires?

If I was building another TTB rock crawler, I would not bother with a lift at all. Cut the body to fit your tire of choice, extended radius arms and coilovers/air shocks in the front, soft leaf springs in the rear. Ground clearance under the diffs is the major thing here.

Probably would do the same thing for a race truck but stiffer rear springs and a lot of bump stops, and really good rear shocks.

If you are just looking for bigger tire fitment without cutting the body then the Skyjacker kit is the best performing option although I am probably one of the most outspoken critics of Skyjacker and lift kits in general on this board: I think lift kits are for looks mostly and good offroad performance can be obtained without using much of a lift at all.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I've been using a skyjacker 6 inch kit with long arms for the better part of a decade and over 100,000 miles, only issues I have had are with the radius arm bushing sleeves. The sleeves have cracked, when I replaced them I put a hose clamp around them for support and I haven't had issues since. I did not use the lift blocks that came with the kit, instead I opted to use 63 inch Chevy springs, belltech shackles, and factory blocks. Are the more expensive and better options? probably, but this system has worked well and has been a great value in my opinion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals