• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuilt 4.0...trouble turning over

madmodsranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just finished recently rebuilding my 4 liter with new pistons, rods, etc. Block was bored 30 over. I am having trouble getting the starter to turn the engine over more than 1 rotation. I have a new battery that is hooked up directly to the starter (no relay). Cables are in good shape.

I can turn the motor over by hand, but it takes a good amount of force. Can anyone tell me about how much torque it should take to turn the motor over with a wrench with sparkplugs in, no accessories? That would be a great help in diagnosing my problem. Thanks in advance.

Madmodsranger

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
With the plugs out, it should take no more than 40#ft of torque at the crank to rotate the engine.

Bird

madmodsranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks bird, I will try it out after work and report back

rocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check your firing order.

madmodsranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Check your firing order.
Im not trying to fire it up. Plugs arent even hooked up. Im just trying to get it to turn at properly.

With the plugs out the starter was able to turn the engine without accessories. I'm not sure it was fast enough but it worked. I wonder if the starter just doesnt have enough torque to turn it with compression. The starter is pretty old

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Starters can develop "flat spots" which makes them appear weak. If you have the starter off its not had to take it apart and check its brushes and clean out any excess carbon powder build up.

The carbon powder is often the culprit for flat spots. In effect it creates a short between two points somewhere and diverts power away from the starter itself.

Badly worn brushes can also be a problem.

Or a worn out commutator.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Take it to advanced. Get it tested. Equally the same, check your grounds. Is the strap from the motor to the frame on? Bad grounds will make it act like it hates you.

madmodsranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Take it to advanced. Get it tested. Equally the same, check your grounds. Is the strap from the motor to the frame on? Bad grounds will make it act like it hates you.
Both battery cables are going directly from the battery to the starter posts.

madmodsranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Brand new starter, brand new battery connected directly to starter, and I cant get it to turn more than 180 degrees at a time with the plugs in. Plugs out it is just fine

Do you guys have any other thoughts? Was it rebuilt wrong?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
what cold cranking amps does the battery have? also you say you have the batt. connected directly to the starter? with what? if you're using long jumper cables it won't be able to deliver enough amperage due to "frictional" losses within the cable. a short fat cable is the best. the longer your cable is the bigger size it needs to be.

also NEW starter? or remanufactured? in my opinion remanufactured just means same as junkyard. all they do is test the commutator for shorts, clean it up, MAYBE replace the brushes and ship it out.

a simple test is to hook a voltmeter to the battery, when you try to crank what does the voltage drop to? it should not fall below 9.5V at about 50-70degrees F. ambient temperature.

being rebuilt wrong is the last possibility. it turns fine without a load but as soon as you load it up it can't handle it.

post results

madmodsranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I took your advice Brutus and made up a couple of 2 foot 4 gauge battery cables to connect directly to the starter. I will just say that you are a genius! She turned over like a champ.

So I guess from here I have two options. Since the battery is located in the bed of this truck, do I take the time replacing the existing cables with 2 or 0 gauge, or do I just relocate the battery?

Thanks again Brutus you are the man!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I took your advice Brutus and made up a couple of 2 foot 4 gauge battery cables to connect directly to the starter. I will just say that you are a genius! She turned over like a champ.

So I guess from here I have two options. Since the battery is located in the bed of this truck, do I take the time replacing the existing cables with 2 or 0 gauge, or do I just relocate the battery?

Thanks again Brutus you are the man!
thank you.

and if you keep the battery in the bed i would upgrade to 0 gauge cables.

if you move the battery back to the OEM spot then 2 or 4 gauge should be sufficient, you can't exactly go too big lol

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals