• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Ford Ranger

Rangerdangerrr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Buying a 1997 Ford Ranger. 2.3L Only Code that has popped up was P1443. Alot of people are Saying its the Purge Valve. My Neighbor who is a Mechainc took a look at it. Told me its most Def the Purge valve. Anyone have any Advice. Also some of Hoses around it need replaced of course. Looked cracked. after I replace it how long till the emission codes will be complete? How many miles do you gotta drive?

P.S I Dont Know if this is the Right Section of the Fourms.... Thanks!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I see you are in California... good luck... once the problem is fixed you should be able to clear out the codes with your code reader. Then for emissions testing, you will probably need to drive it a bit and restart the engine several times before the computer has enough statistical data that the emissions inspectors will accept it as good.

I want to say at least 50 drive cycles... If anyone has better knowledge than I, please chime in.

AJ

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not sure if its the same but mine was throwing large evap leak and the code was showing it was the purge valve and I ended up replacing the gas neck filler hose because it was completely broken off. So you may have a problem somewhere else. Start with replacing the hoses and making sure the plug connector is clean. Thank god I live in a county that does not require e-pass. 3/4 of the trucks around here couldn't pass that lol.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
From Smogtips.com

Your Ford Ranger's emission monitors (readiness flags) will complete quicker when using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes.

Your trucks fuel tank level must be between 1/2 and 3/4 full during the drive cycle. The EVAP monitor will not run if fuel levels are too low or too high.

The Evaporative Monitor can only operate during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. During the EVAP portion of the drive cycle, drive in a smooth fashion to minimize "fuel slosh".

A. Start your truck. Idle the vehicle for 15 seconds, and then drive at 40 MPH until engine coolant temperature is at least 170°F, which is normal engine operating temperature. 10 to 15 minutes of drive will achieve this.

B. HEGO Monitor - Cruise at 40 MPH for up to 4 minutes.

C. EVAP Monitor - Cruise at 45 to 65 MPH for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills).

D. Catalyst Monitor - Next, drive your Ford Ranger in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 25 to 45 MPH over a 10 minute period.

E. EGR Monitor - From a stop, accelerate to 45 MPH at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat this pattern 3 times.

F. SEC AIR/CCM (Continuous Monitors) - Bring your Ford Ranger to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes.

G. CCM (Transmission) - If your Ford has a manual transmission, go ahead and accelerate from 0 to 50 MPH, continue to step (H). For Automatic Transmissions, start from a stop and in overdrive, then moderately accelerate to 50 MPH and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop the vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 40 MPH cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at 40 MPH, activate overdrive and accelerate to 50 MPH and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 10 five times.

H. Misfire & Fuel Monitors - From a stop, accelerate to 65 MPH. Decelerate at closed throttle until 40 MPH (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times.

I. Readiness Check - If using a scan tool, go ahead and access the ON-Board System Readiness (OBDII monitor status) function on the scan tool. Determine whether all emission monitors have completed.

J. Evap Monitor "Bypass" - Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps A through I.

1 Drive Cycle = engine temp above 160degF, so warmed up, then cool down to under 120degF

So depending on outside temp you don't need to let it sit 8 hours but probably at least 4 hours.

You can not force an emissions test, computer does it "when it does it", lol, so give yourself a few days of drive time before emissions test

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals